It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Juicing: more information

For those who have important reasons (medical or otherwise) for juicing, they will juice, more or less out of necessity. But for those who don't need to juice, this information is for you.

The main problem with juicing is that it eliminates fiber and concentrates sugar and calories. I'll start by listing some of the reasons why fiber is so important for health and weight control.

1. Fiber helps to curb your appetite. At some point the bulk in your stomach sends a signal to your brain that you are full.

2. Fiber helps to reduce the absorption of calories (but not nutrients).

3. Foods rich in fiber are low-energy-density. In other words, you can eat a lot without getting a lot of calories.

4. Fiber-rich food slows your body's conversion of carbohydrate to sugar. This helps to stabilize your blood sugar and thus is helpful for weight loss.

5. On average, 7 calories will be eliminated (in the stool) for every gram of fiber you consume. But (according to the author of, "The Fiber35 Diet") there's no evidence that fiber prevents you from retaining nutrients (under normal conditions and assuming you chew your food). It has even been said that fiber can help with the absorption of nutrients.

What happens when you juice carrots, apples, oranges etc.?

One average carrot (about 7") contains 5 grams of sugar and 35 calories. How many carrots do you need to make a 4 ounce glass of juice? I don't know but you can imagine how the sugar and calories would add up fast. And there's no fiber to help stabilize blood sugar.

One medium orange contains 70 calories (same story as above example)

One medium apple contains 80 calories (same story as above example)

There is the notion that fresh squeezed juice is better than store bought juice. I've heard this many times and it's true. It is better. But the above information (1 through 5) is still true, regardless of whether it's store bought or fresh squeezed at home.

"The Fiber35 Diet" calls for 35 grams of fiber per day. But the average person only consumes about 10 to 15 grams per day. If the average person starts juicing, are they helping to boost their fiber consumption, or are they making things worse? I don't see juicing as helpful for the average person who doesn't need it for medical or other important reasons. My advice: If you don't need it, don't do it. Don't juice.

Your comments, if any, are welcome.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-20-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
(male)

WorkNProgress HB User
Re: Juicing: more information

Good points but what type of juicer is best? I am a poor college student and I really want to be as healthy as possible but how can I juice on a budget?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Juicing: more information

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkNProgress View Post
Good points but what type of juicer is best? I am a poor college student and I really want to be as healthy as possible but how can I juice on a budget?
Eat the whole fruit or vegetable and you won't need a juicer.

If you really do want to turn fruits or vegetables into juice, do it in a way that the entire edible portion (including the pulp / fiber) ends up in the juice (which may be thicker than juice which has been strained to remove the pulp / fiber) if you want to maximize the retention of the nutritional value of the fruits or vegetables.

Closed Thread