It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
High Calorie, Low Carb Diet?

I'm not planning on doing this, but am just trying to learn. I've heard two things: first, if you eat less calories, you'll lose weight; second, if you eat low carbs, you'll lose weight. I realize that eating a low carb, high calorie diet would be impossible because you can't eat carbs without eating calories. However, what would happen if someone at zero carbs in a day, but at an absorbant amount of calories... say 5,000 to 6,000 calories per day?

God bless,

Rowdy

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: High Calorie, Low Carb Diet?

Eating more calories than you use will cause weight gain (whether fat or muscle or some of each depends on exercise).

Consider that the biggest calorie bombs are foods that contain both carbohydrates and fats. For example, consider fettucine alfredo. Most people would eat fewer calories of just fettucine (low fat) or just alfredo sauce (low carbohydrate) than they would eat of fettucine alfredo. Low carbohydrate diets also eliminate sweet drinks, which can be a large source of calorie intake that gives little satiety. So it is typically the case that low carbohydrate dieters eat less calories than they would if they were not restricting carbohydrates.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Okay, keep in consideration I'm below novice understanding of nutrition when I ask you this. But, consider someone in one day eats cream cheese (say, even right out of the tub, for arguement's sake), several slices of American cheese with four or more gournd turkey patties, two steaks and two chicken breasts. This person would have taken in almost zero carbs, but would have way too many calories. This person would gain weight this day, even though he would have taken in low carbs?

If what I stated above is true and if I'm understanding you properly, taking in no carbs isn't going to make you lose weight; taking in fewer calories is. Taking in limited carbs is just insurance that you're taking in low calories? If this is so, why don't you not worry about carbs and just limit your fat or just your protien?

God bless,

Rowdy

Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Yes, avoiding carbohydrates altogether makes it harder to consume a high calorie diet. Also, drawing a clear line of what not to eat may help some dieters who otherwise might think that they can eat "just a few" potato chips and then finish the entire bag.

The same goes for ultra low fat diets (< 10% of calories from fat), although such dieters have to be more careful to avoid fat free junk food and sweet drinks as well.

Cutting out protein completely is not a good idea, as protein is needed to rebuild body tissues as they get worn down.

Closed Thread