It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Aspartame?

What is it that is so bad? Everyond treats it like the plague (spelling?).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Aspartame?

It's not just aspartame. Aspartame is a victim of a big one-time study that found it toxic to nerve tissue and everyone jumped on the band wagon. Biochemically it isn't that bad, and does not demonstrate toxicity within normal, typical daily doses for humans. Metabolically it does produce a small amount of methanol when processed by the liver. Some are senstitive to this. You would have to drink probably 1000 liters of diet soda to produce enough methanol to cause most of us any symptoms.

Basically here's the deal. It's not just aspartame. Anything foreign, including prescription drugs, must be processed by the liver. If not natural and not useable by the body, this can place a lot of stress on the liver. Sometimes the liver can be damaged, especially over prolonged usage. Is aspartame going to do this? Probably not. Will cholesterol medications? Probably yes.

Take this example. When you drink a lot of alcohol quickly, it is not the ethanol that makes you drunk. Your liver cannot keep up and not enough alcohol dehydrogenase can be produced, and so the ethanol is "mismetabolized" into formaldehyde. It is the formaldehyde in the blood stream that actually makes you feel drunk. Which again is toxic to the liver and you see alcoholics suffer terrible consequences.

Another thing I can think of worse that aspartame is synthetic insulin. It's not the insulin itself, but the additives. They add phenol and meta-cresol to the suspension for microbial growth control. These are pretty toxic to the liver and kidneys, but it's better than injecting microbes right?

Diabetics who get nerve damage and take great control of their sugar suffer this due to these compounds in synthetic insulin it is thought, or in part. However, it is sometimes blamed on aspartame because a lot of diabetics drink diet sodas. But there are others who are not diabetic and drink a lot of diet sodas and have no ill effects.

If you want to enjoy a few diet sodas or drinks here and there, go for it. I don't think aspartame is as bad as everyone makes it out to be or it would not be on the market.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Some rodent studies have found that rodents fed artificial sweeteners tended to eat more and get fatter. The hypothesis is that the sweet taste in the absence of calories causes greater hunger or something like that.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Some rodent studies have found that rodents fed artificial sweeteners tended to eat more and get fatter. The hypothesis is that the sweet taste in the absence of calories causes greater hunger or something like that.
Yes, I agree 100% with that. That's why I don't like Splenda. If you look at thte molecule, a Cl atom is used in place of an OH. So the body thinks it's close enough and tastes sweet, however the chemistry is wrong to enter the cells. I believe that could cause you to be hungry because you taste the sweet and get no energy payoff.

I suppose I like Stevia better, because it's natural and it does metabolize into individual glucose molecules. I know on Rebaudioside D there are at least 5 glucose molecules. I don't like the bare backbone Steviol though, it is water insoluble and looks hard on the kidneys.

I guess just drink water right? Haha.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Okay, I love fruit and hate to love Mtn. Dew. I went out and bought a blender and just mixed up a bunch of fruit - large can of peaches (just realized the can was 350 calories), about two handfuls of blackberries and a small handfull of cranberries - along with two trays of ice. I got to tell you, its not bad. It is definately a little bland, though. I imagine the blandness is the ice and think I may try less ice next time. However, I bought some of that water flavoring at the store the other day, but one of the ingredients is Aspartame. I'm thinking about mixing it with what's left over of what I've just blended, but not sure if that would be too bad a thing to do on a regular basis? Thing is, I'm mixing it into fruits, so I'm not sure its going make me want to eat - the urge to eat implemented by the Aspartame is taken in with the blended fruit, so I'd imagine they'd cancel each other out?

Thanks for the help you guys, its very exciting to think I may be slender this time next year. Man, this is a blast and I couldn't do it without help.

God bless,

Rowdy

Closed Thread