It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Low Carb Diet.

Okay, so I've decided to try cutting out almost all carbohydrates as insurance for low calories. The thing is that I've heard that if you eat zero carbs, you can eat all you want and still lose weight, but I found that American cheese, cream cheese, beef and even some breads are low in carbs. In contradiction, I've also been told that if you want to lose weight, don't eat any of these things except in very small moderation. So, which is true?

God bless,

Rowdy

Old 11-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Low Carb Diet.

It's calories, not carbs. Anything that you eat with calories, whether it be in the form of carbohydrates, simple sugar, fat, protein, will contribute to your body's energy requirement. I can eat zero carbs and still gain weight by eating all fats and proteins. It just so happens that carbohydrates are broken down very quickly and provide energy very quickly, so if you eat a lot of them, then you might gain weight easier. If you cut all carbs you still can't eat all you want and lose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
(male)

Stoneface HB User

I'd like to slap Dr. Atkins... and the rest of those diet freaks for that matter. You know, it seems simple: eat more calories, weight more; eat less calories, weigh less. Why do they have to make it so complicated!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Just to get a handle on it, can you tell me what you generally ate? I mean like a short list of low-carb foods. All I've been able to find is cheese and meet, very few fruits and vegetables. Do you have any others you can clue me in on? By the way... thanks a lot.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

There is a huge bias here against following a LC diet. Many people live it successfully, and not as a temporary diet but as a lifestyle, myself included. I will tell you that if you are correctly following a nutritious LC regimen, calories consumed minus calories burned does NOT formulate into weight loss or gain... there is much more going on metabolically.

Just in a very *brief* overview... the body must have a preference for glucose as an energy source... this has been interpreted that carbs are necessary for energy. Whatever glucose you make from food has to be burned for energy and what cannot be immediately burned becomes stored energy (which is fat unless you are constantly depleting your muscle glycogen stores). If this doesn't happen you blood sugar would remain dangerously high. To move/store glucose you body makes insulin. Too much glucose over time stresses out the pancreas and decreases the effectiveness of insulin, which is insulin resistance. This can be an undetected state of health for many years before becoming T2 diabetes. Also, ketosis brought on by dietary changes is a vastly different metabolic state than the very dangerous ketosis experienced by diabetics known as ketoacidosis.

Most of the carbs (even so called "natural" ones in fruit) were not available to us in the last few thousand years. We have cultivated fruits and vegetables to make them palatable. We grew grains to have easy sustainable food. Nutrition deficiencies such as scurvy and bone loss have only been documented in agrarian societies and are nonexistent in groups of peoples who traditionally consume little to no carbohydrate.

There is so much more to it than weight loss. Understanding the biochemical reactions of the insulin/glucose mechanism in response to food can make this very understandable before passing uninformed judgement. If you really want to follow a LC "diet" you should have a good idea of what you are doing or you will eventually fail and blame the "diet." If you are only going to do it temporarily to lose weight it will be like any other temporary diet... it may work for you for a while and then you will probably return to gaining weight once you resume your old eating habits.

LC fruits include berries, melons, peaches, plums, nectarines

Nearly all of the non-starchy vegetable are low in carbohydrate (read... most stuff that isn't tubers)

Protein Power by Michael Eades as mentioned by a previous poster does explain well how LC works in the body's glucose/insulin relationship. Another good read is Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes. The body of research regarding the effect of lowered carbohydrate consumption has been growing over the years, there is much more information available to us now than there was 30 years ago on the subject. It still seems so far from the mainstream SAD, but anyone who wants to understand the concept and how it relates to the health of the human body is able to become informed.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I have been dieting a low carb diet for the past 3 weeks & I'm amazed how quickly I'm losing weight & also how well I feel! I'm eating plenty of the low carb vegetables in salads or steamed & a lot of fish & chicken also. I do have some red meat but only 2 or 3 times a week. I'm not missing biscuits, cakes or bread at all at this point!

I have read the Protein Power Book- it explains everything one needs to know on the subject. I think the important thing is to drink heaps of water on this diet- like 2 or 3 litres a day.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
(male)

Stoneface HB User

I appreciate all the input so, so much. I think I'm going to have to get that book like ASAP! I went out shopping and bought some fruit - peaches, a pomegranite, blackberries, cranberries. For some reason the grocery store had a very slim slection in the fruit and produce section. May have had something to do with it being the day after Black Friday? haha. Blended them up and am trying it now - not bad. I think I may have found my replacement for Mtn. Dew!

I wanted to ask, though, about these peaches. I bit into them and the inside is a brown-yellow. They taste just a little off, but the look and the fact they were still pretty firm got to me. Any idea what caused it?

Man, getting all this good information for free makes me feel like a thief! Thanks again.

God bless,

Rowdy

Closed Thread