It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Staying Faithful to a Program.

Okay, sorry for posting so much, but this board is so helpful and help is one thing I need plenty of!

My question: How do you keep up on exercise? I mean, I'm a very big guy - about 6' 4'' and 400 lbs - and always wind up going bust when I try to keep a regular workout schedule. Thing is, I don't mind working. I worked on a cattle ranch in 2006 for the summer, have had jobs as a laborer and am no stranger to sweat... its when it comes as a sheduled, itemized routine that I lose my footing. And there's also a feeling of pointlessness to it. Like I could work out hours a day and it would have no bearing on my health (any idea what this is from?).

Back in January/February of this year I stuck to a 1,000 - 1,500 calaorie per day diet with a regular 45 minutes in the gym (only 45 minutes because I figured if I didn't push myself too hard, maybe I'd stay with it longer). It lasted about six weeks until I finally weighed in with a 21 pound loss. I was beside my self with happiness and pride, but I almost immediately stopped going to the gym and started straying from my diet and eating out. I could have killed myself!

So, again, what do you guys do to keep yourself true to your program/diet?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Staying Faithful to a Program.

Because regularized, itemized workout schedules, and especially diet schedules, don't work. Each has a very unsuccessful track record. It's too diminishing to the mind to keep up a regularized schedule of things that you may not particularly enjoy. For instance, if you find it is too difficult to keep up a workout routine, then you are clearly doing the wrong workout. Pick something that you like. If you want to be successful, pick a few things that you like, do each several times/week, and DON'T make a schedule.

When I was competing in distance running I never scheduled a hard workout day. Sure, I ran every day, but I went by feeling on when to run harder, more intense workouts. As I always tell people, your body doesn't care what you had planned for it that day, if it's not ready, it's not ready.

You need to pick things that you enjoy, several of them, and rotate doing each, in no particular order, throughout the week. Otherwise, you'll not enjoy what you are doing and probably not be very successful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Well isn't that the problem? I mean, if I could do the things I enjoy and lose weight, wouldn't I be doing it? I mean my income's restricted, so I can't spend much, so there's not much I can think of that I - or most people for tha matter - do on a regular basis that they enjoy. I mean, I enjoy reading, writing, playing cards... I don't get much from just going for walks downtown and don't really have any friends. I don't mean to make excuses - I'm very intrigued - but I just don't think I'm understanding what you're saying.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
(male)

Stoneface HB User

You also said a regular diet doesn't have good prospects. Do you have any pointers on how to stick to a certain daily calorie count? It sucks to measure out every doggone thing you're going to eat. You have to have be ready to write a math thesis just to make supper! I find myself often either not eating or just forgetting the diet all together and winging it. If I'm right, neither are a good idea.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Those are tough questions! Before I personally can respond, I'll have to think about those some more. Perhaps others can offer some help soon.

Closed Thread