It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Will this work?

I've decided to start eating healthy and devised a very simple plan: I'm living alone now, so if all I buy is healthy food - no crap - and, at the most, eat like I have eaten unhealthy food in the past, I'll get healthy. It's simple logic. Here's the thing. I went out and bought a blender and George Foreman Grill, tons of meat, pork, poultry, veggies and fruit. No butter, not bread, no oil, no nothing unhealthy. Now, all I get around to fixing is a lot of meat, pork and poultry of a day along with blended up fruit. Like, just a second ago I had two nice size pieces of pork and a big glass of blended ice/blueberries/peaches(canned)/cranberries. I do mix a full pitcher of the fruit blend with some water flavoring, which has aspartame in it, but it's better than drinking pop.

Here's my question: This is all I consume, with the exception of one 20 oz. pop every couple days (as opposed to about a two liter a day). I eat a lot of meat and a lot of fruit. Is this good for me? Will it help me lose weight?

Thanks everyone, and God bless,

Rowdy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Will this work?

Meat and fruit alone is not an adequate diet. You need green vegetables, too.

Also, if you are eating meat at every meal, even though you are grilling it, you may be getting too much fat and cholesterol, and too many calories.

I agree with your plan to only keep healthy food in the house, but I think you need a broader menu.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
(female)

italiangirl25 HB User

I agree with janewhite1. I am a 20 year old female and have tried every diet under the sun! But the question is are you just trying to eat healthy or actually trying to lose a significant amount of weight?

If you are just trying to eat healthy then all you need to do is is use your common sense (not trying to sound mean) ! But if its weight you are trying to loose then you have already made a good move by trying to keep only "smart" foods in your home. In order to lose weight you need to at least add 30 or more minutes of exercise into your daily schedule. It can be anything from walking, to playing sports, to intense cardio, or even to weight lifting. From personal experience, starting off small helps the most so you don't over do it the first couple of days to the point where you lost all energy and motivation. Just start off slow and gradually increase the intensity of your exercises!

Now when it comes to food...that can be tricky. When changing your diet suddenly, the first 3 to 4 days are going to be a little tough but trust me you will be so glad when you get past that little hump because you will feel so healthy and have so much more energy! Now it depends on your age, height, weight, and daily physical activity when it comes to how many calories you should consume a day in order to lose weight.

deleted

As long as you don't go crazy and eat over 2,000 calories a day you should be fine. But listen to me when I tell you that this is VERY VERYYYY important!!!!
* Do Not Starve Your Self!!!!!! *
That is the worst thing you could possibly do because if you do 1. you will just get the urge to binge on unhealthy food later in the day and 2. It slows down your metabolism so that you burn less calories.

It is simple. Eat 5 meals a day = 3 main meals and 2 snacks. Also eating them 2-3 hours apart from each other challenges your bodies metabolic take so that it will speed up your metabolism so that you can lose more weight!

These meals should all rotate around at least one serving of vegetables. Meat is very important too but remember only lean meat!

deleted

Eating 4 - 5 servings of fruit a day is good too because it gives your body natural sugars instead of unnatural like that in pop. It is also high in fiber which will makes you fuller longer! You really should try avoiding all sugar based products and all pops. A good substitute for pop is carbonated water with a lemon or lime wedge added! I could go on and on about the foods you can eat to stay healthy and loose weight but basically just eat veggies, fruits, lean meat, egg whites, naturally low in fat cheeses, whole grains, good fats (ex: olive oil, almonds, and avacado's, etc...) and drink skim milk, unsweetened tea, and plenty of water!!!!

Sorry this was long...hope it helped !

Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Okay, well let me ask this. I was speaking with one of my instructors - the most educated, enlightened person I know - and he told me that man is still physically in the "hunting and gathering" stage. We're externally designed to gather fruits and hunt for meat and internally designed to process and function on these things. So, my question is, this being the fact, why do we have to have veggies? Why not just fruit and meat? It seems that while veggies are "natural" in the sense that they come from the earth, they're not "natural" in the sense that we'd incorporate them into our diets. Am I making any sense of this at all?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Within the last few centuries, Western society has come in contact with quite a few hunter-gatherer cultures. All of them ate some sort of vegetables, such as greens or roots. Even true predator species, like lions, often eat plants. In fact, the fruits they could get were much smaller and less sweet, and not usually available in large quantities, and meat was a very irregular food source, depending on the group's success with hunting. Thus, vegetables were critical.

(The Inuit people of Alaska and northern Canada come nearest to an all-meat diet, but during the desperately short growing season, they eat all the plants they can get.)

You don't get many calories from leaves, but they provide vitamins and minerals you need, and the bulk (fiber) is critical to maintaining the health of your digestive system.

If you are out in the wilderness and hungry, trust me, you'll eat anything your ancestors have determined isn't poisonous.

The "hunter-gatherer" argument is used to advance the claim that humans should not eat processed foods or breads. I've never before heard someone use it to put down vegetables!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Thanks for clearing that up. This is a good board.

Closed Thread