It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
(male)

relauby HB User
Question Can you get too much fiber?

I was Googling the other day the effects of getting too much fiber, and most of the things I read said that there was no side effects and you should get as much fiber as you can because it just gets pushed out anyway. But I know that if you expel too much from your body, it freaks and starts absorbing all the fat it can from whatever you eat and also dives into your "emergency fat supply" (which is why anorexia doesn't work).

But out of all the posts I read and pages I visited none of them mentioned this. So does getting fiber counter-balance this somehow? Or is it because it's a more natural way of getting your body to push more out than, say, putting your finger down your throat? Or does this still happen in this situation and I just happened to miss it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Can you get too much fiber?

I'm a little confused by your post; I don't understand certain parts of it. But I understand your main question: "Can you get too much fiber."

I think the answer is, "no", you can't get too much fiber, providing the fiber comes from whole foods. I think if the fiber comes from supplements or something like 100% bran cerial, that's a different story.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-18-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: punctuation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I am on a high fiber diet. If I eat too much fiber, my stomach gets very bloated, and then at night makes it difficult for me to sleep.

My wife is very limited in the amount of fiber that she can eat. A modest amount of fiber makes her nauseous and she feels pressure in her chest.

Other friends/relatives of mine are very limited in the amount of fiber that they can eat, especially the females, with symptoms ranging from acid indigestion to bloating to fullness in the chest, etc.

Anecdotally it seems like females are much more sensitive to fiber than males. Anyone else observe the same thing, or is it just me?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-18-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I agree with John, as long as it's coming from food, you'll have a hard time getting too much.

However, going from a very low-fiber diet to a very high-fiber diet overnight might upset the digestion considerably, simply because the body isn't used to it.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I am on a high fiber diet. If I eat too much fiber, my stomach gets very bloated..... Anyone else observe the same thing, or is it just me?
I have observed the same bloating (etc.) in myself, many years ago, but I never blamed it on too much fiber. I blamed it on eating too much of a certain type of food.

It took me several decades to realize that it usually involved dishes that contained a lot of refined grain or whole grain products. It happened with foods like corn on the cob, whole grain or white spaghetti and pizza etc.. Although, if I ate a very small amount of some grain, like oatmeal, it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Now, after reading "The Paleo Diet" and "Eat Right For Your Type", I think I'm just not genetically equiped to efficiently digest any grain product.

Whenever I ate a dish of spahetti, corn on the cob or pizza, I would not only feel bloated but I would feel like my stomach was tied up in knots.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-23-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: word change for clarity

Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
However, going from a very low-fiber diet to a very high-fiber diet overnight might upset the digestion considerably, simply because the body isn't used to it.
That's a good point and serves as a reminder that when it comes to nutrition and health, there are always exceptions to every rule. Another reason might be because of medications, like antibiotics, interfering with digestion, or, anything that serves to suppress the bacterial flora in the GI tract.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-23-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
(male)

juan motime HB User

So if you need to avoid whole grain foods, what foods do you get most of your fiber from?

I'm about to go gluten-free because my cardiologist says doing so can improve a person's cholesterol numbers.

While I know there is a lot of good fiber in fruits and vegetables, I'm used to getting most of my fiber from cereal and whole wheat bread. Even gluten-free cereal and bread that contains healthy ingredients are usually extremely low in fiber.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-27-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan motime View Post
So if you need to avoid whole grain foods, what foods do you get most of your fiber from?
My diet is sort of in transition at the present time. I'm in the process of switching over to Ezekiel flourless bread. It's made from 6 sprouted grains and legumes and represents complete protein. This was recommended in the book, "Eat Right For Your Type", for those who are sensitive to whole wheat, corn and other grains. That was listed as the best item for blood type O. Then they have a few items listed as "neutral". I might eventually try one or two of them but I don't have the list with me so I can't tell you what they are.

In the mean time, I still have a small amount of steel cut oats to use up and I believe it's on the list of foods to avoid. I use less than a 1/4 cup (measured dry) for breakfast. Also, I have a little whole grain pasta left that I need to use up. I hate to throw food away so I'm just using these items in very small amounts until they are used up.

After I get completely changed over to this new diet, I might start a new thread to let everyone know how it's going. One minor problem I would like to solve is that I tend to urinate often, mostly during the night. However, I've had this problem for decades so I might just have to live with it. (I don't have a prostate problem or high blood sugar.)

Ok, you wanted to know where I get my fiber from. Well, I eat a lot of vegetables and a fair amount of fruit and nuts. It helps if you like vegetables, fruit and nuts and I do.

With this new diet, I will have to give up some things that I like. For example, oranges, tangerines and cantaloupe. But there are several other choices of fruit that I can eat. So I will be okay on that score.

About Ezekiel bread. If you look for it in the supermarket, it's not with the other breads, it's in the freezer section. They keep it frozen because there are no preservatives in it. Then you would keep it in your freezer at home and just remove one slice as you need it. But here's the problem: Do you toast it or what? I don't like toasting anything so I have been putting a slice between two small bread dishes and then puting it in the microwave for a short time. Once you get the hang of it, it should come out hot and moist. Almost like fresh baked. I then drizzle some olive oil on it and just eat it like that.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-30-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Deleted last paragraph / spelling

Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
(male)

juan motime HB User

John--

I appreciate your detailed reply.

I've been buying flourless Ezekiel 100% sprouted whole grain bread for years, and haven't eaten any other kind of bread. I love the taste of it, as well as the info on the label--no sugar, low sodium, and good fiber.

When I go to the library tomorrow, I'm gonna pick up Eat Right for Your Type.

If you end up starting a new thread as you said you might on this subject, I will be a frequent visitor.

Thanks for all the good information.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
(male)

ShanerShane HB User

in the past 2 weeks i decided to increase my fiber considerably. its gone from :carrots,lettuce,apple per day, to ; carrots,brocoli,cabbage,all kinds of beans,apples etc.

i have felt bloating, dull lower stomach discomforts, the odd pain in my chest (might be from late night snacking) with the increased green intake. also passing of alot of firm stools.

i think the brocoli for me makes the dull pains in my lower stomach, but it was a sharp transition so ill eat a little portions everyday until my stomach gets used to it. im just figuring out the recipes/cooking techniques of these darn greens!

Last edited by ShanerShane; 12-31-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
(female)

Johannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by relauby View Post
I was Googling the other day the effects of getting too much fiber, and most of the things I read said that there was no side effects and you should get as much fiber as you can because it just gets pushed out anyway. But I know that if you expel too much from your body, it freaks and starts absorbing all the fat it can from whatever you eat and also dives into your "emergency fat supply" (which is why anorexia doesn't work).

But out of all the posts I read and pages I visited none of them mentioned this. So does getting fiber counter-balance this somehow? Or is it because it's a more natural way of getting your body to push more out than, say, putting your finger down your throat? Or does this still happen in this situation and I just happened to miss it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
I don't know about all of those reasons but, speaking from experience, there are some people who cannot tolerate roughage of any kind. Why I do not know. I never bothered asking. Just avoid it most of the time.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan motime View Post
If you are gluten sensitive, one source of fiber can come from Rice Bran. It has fiber and is high in protein.

Closed Thread