It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Frozen v. Fresh Veggies.

Is there a difference in frozen and fresh vegetables? I know fresh is recommended, but is frozen the same as fresh, or are there additives, preservatives or other downfalls to frozen veggies?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Frozen v. Fresh Veggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Is there a difference in frozen and fresh vegetables? I know fresh is recommended, but is frozen the same as fresh, or are there additives, preservatives or other downfalls to frozen veggies?
I have read that there is no difference as far as nutrition goes since frozen are immediately frozen upon picking. I happen to prefer the taste of fresh, but cerainly frozen is much easier to keep on hand and not have to worry about them going bad. I recently forgot I had some fresh and and had to throw them out since they did go bad. At least with frozen you can always have them on hand. I'm going to try to find some frozen that I like. So far I have found the mixed veggies are okay with me, but things like caulflower I'm not fond of. Maybe I am not cooking them properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
(male)

LP123 HB User

Fresh is obviously the best way to eat any food. But I consider the cooking method much more important. Over-cooking vegetables destroys enzymes and reduces their nutrient value significantly. Microwaving is the most damaging of all. Steaming seems to be the least damaging but all cooking damages food to some extent.

Last edited by LP123; 12-21-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Frozen veggies are usualy fresher than 'fresh" ones, becuse they are frozen within hours of being picked

A recent study (conducted by H J Heinz) in New Zealand showed that frozen broccoli stored for 3 months in a freezer had doublt the vitamin c content of "fresh" broccoli, picked and transported to a store in 3 days

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 01-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When you can get REALLY fresh veggies, in season, they taste like nothing else on the planet.

Being as that's often not possible, frozen is just as healthy and more convenient.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

i agree, fresh borccoli and cauliflower taste better than frozen, but for nutritional content, apparently frozen wins.

I compromise - i buy fresh, and take a multivitamin pill.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
(female)

cabby123 HB User

It's my understanding that many frozen vegetables have a higher nutritional value because they are immediately frozen, locking in many of the nutrients fresh vegetables excrete while sitting in the store.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Fresh out your own garden is best if you can manage/organise it. Nothing tastes nicer than picking your own just before lightly steaming it for the meal & the nutritional value must be at it's peak just after picking.

A few things can be grown in tubs to save space- I have done this with tomatoes & various herbs quite successfully. Once the planting is done, very little time & effort is needed.

Closed Thread