It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Metamucil MultiHealth Fiber.

I bought this yesterday because I don't think I'm getting enough fiber and figured a supplement would be a good idea. After I bought it I looked up my recommended daily fiber intake and it was 35 grams. That seems pretty high to me so I checked the serving size on the supplement. The bottle was over $10 and the only five grams of fiber per six - yes, six; 3 dietary fiber and 2 soluble fiber - capsules, and there's only 160 capsules in the bottle. That means to take in 35 grams of fiber every day I'll have to take 42 capsules, which means I'll be out in less than four days.

This can't be right, I must be missing something. Can someone clue me in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Metamucil MultiHealth Fiber.

Don't try to get all your fiber from a supplement. For one thing, that might do weird stuff to your digestion, to get that much fiber in the form of a concentrate! And think about how much 35 grams is. That's 1.23 ounces, which would be a basketload of pills.

Supplement means "in addition to," so you should still be getting a fair amount from food. One cup of green vegetables is 5 grams of fiber, for instance, and a cup of cooked beans is 12-18 grams depending on the type of bean.

Basically, if you are trying to lose weight without going hungry, high fiber foods are a great way to do that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread