It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
(male)

AllGood HB User
How much water should I be drinking?

I have been doing some reading on the net about how much water I should be drinking.

I learn that the average person should be getting about 2 liters of water a day.
I dunno but that seems like a lot of water?

am I wrong here? I mean that's a real chore to drink that much water.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: How much water should I be drinking?

Yes, that sounds right- 8 large glasses is what is recommended for optimum health!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

That is a lot of water. The two liters a day rule is a myth based on some very old research that was very poorly done. The research wasn't even on people. It was on rabbits! Modern research shows that most people get most of the water they need from their food. You don't need to drink extra water unless you are engaged in vigorous physical activity. If you are peeing more often than about every two hours then you are drinking too much water.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Drink whenever you are thirsty. Unless you are sick, it's super hot, or you are exercising very hard, there's no need to force down water you don't want. (and even then, don't drink so much you throw up!)

If your urine is usually clear or pale yellow, you are adequately hydrated.

Drinking much MORE than 2 liters per day, you might be at risk of electrolyte imbalance, so in that case you'd have to also think about electrolyte replacement.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I read that a person needs 50 ounces for every 100 pounds of body weight. The body needs water to wash its cells of waste materials and keep about 8 pints of blood filled with water. The body puts out water through kidneys, lungs and skin and this must all be replaced. When the day is hot in summer pints and even quarts of water may be lost with sweat. Blood needs to deposit nutrients everywhere and needs water for this exchange and transport. If the blood becomes too dehydrated a person may develop problems such a clots. In my opinion half dried blood does not run through a body well!

And yes I heard and read that the urine should be kept pale. If it is not kept that way one runs the risk of kidney stones in the body from uric acid crystalizing in the blood. Stones of various types have the capacity to develop in other places also so I don't suggest that people allow themselves to dry up too much. People's bodies are basically made up of elements such as minerals, metals, gases and water. If too much of something happens or too little of something happens there is big trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
rajenprasad (03-15-2011)
Old 12-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I'm certainly going to stick to my 8 glasses a day! A Urologist once told me that all healthy kidneys require this amount to keep them that way!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
(male)

Thomasn HB User

I read in authentic medical book approximately 10 to 15 Glass of water are needed for human body. If want to live fit and healthy not want to getting extra fats, than drink more water then you daily routine.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

I drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day--and more on the days when I can fit more in.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

8 glasses is probably overkill for most people. But how much you truly need will vary depending on your body size. Thirst is a pretty good mechanism for maintaining hydration. Drink some fluids if you feel thirsty but don't force it down if you're not. Caffeinated beverages promote hydration as well as long as you've developed adequate tolerance to caffeine's diuretic effects.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
(female)

MelSilver HB User

I believe the others on the thread are right. I also recommend drinking 8 glasses of water and not just with small drinking glasses. If you can drink more than the better for you.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
(female)

Eburt HB User

I stick with drinking the 8 glasses a day. I'm on strong medication, so I think it's good for me to keep my system flushed so toxins don't build. I also find the more water I drink the less migraines and low-grade headaches I get, and the better I feel overall. I've found it's also improved my skin's apprearance.

I agree with what some have said about keeping your urine pale. I read that on some medical website too, that as long as your urine is pale you're hydrated.

I think a lot of people find the idea of drinking 8 glasses of water overwhelming because a lot of the time the photos that I see going along with this advice show a large glass, and then people think they have to drink 8 large glasses a day. What "8 glasses a day" means to me is 8 250ml servings a day. I figure 250ml=1 cup, 8 cups = 2000ml, or 2 litres, which is the required amount of water. Eight small 250ml servings a day should be manageable for most people. I think if people saw what an actual 250ml serving looks like, they wouldn't find it so overwhelming.

Closed Thread