It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
(male)

manishrathi HB User
can drinking tap water cause problems ?

I live in Toronto, Canada. I am drinking tap water. Water treatment by corporation in Toronto is considered very good and tap water is considered very safe for drinking. But my friend's visit has made me thinking
My friend came to visit me and his wife informed me about the chlorin contained in tap water.
She had filtered watrer from her home and got some water from my tap in different glass. She poured few drops of a liquid she had (I dont know what liquid was that). After 30 seconds or so, tap water started turning yellow. She told me that it was because of the chlorin and other impurities contained in tap water. We should use filter for the tap water.
Now I had seen similar demonstration at one purified water shop. She put an electrode in purified water and tap water each and switched on. After a while, electrode in tap water glass started collecting sediments from the water, while electrode in purified water remained clean.
Is it true that tap water is injurious to health ? According to her, drinking tap water can cause long term irreversible effects like loss of memory etc.
If this is untrue, then whats the reason that tap water is turning yellow or collecting deposits around electrode ?

Last edited by manishrathi; 01-03-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: can drinking tap water cause problems ?

That's a classic MLM scam. Your friend is involved with some kind of affiliate marketing pyramid scheme. There's nothing wrong with your water. If the chlorine worries you, just set the water out for a few hours and the chlorine will evaporate. Or you can buy much less expensive filtering devices in regular stores that do the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Chlorinated tap water actually makes me ill, so I use an inexpensive filter I bought at the local store. I know Brita and Pur make good ones, I'm sure there are others. You can get the type that attach right to the faucet head, or just get a pitcher with a filter on the filler. These filters will also filter out heavy metals and some microorganisms.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I am sensitive to chlorine so I have a fitler on the kitchen faucet. Bought it at a hardware store. Just change the fitler part every now and then. Was very easy to install.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

hlnorg HB User
Talking Re: can drinking tap water cause problems ?

Yes, drinking water from the tap can cause a lot of problems - some problems that we will not even be aware of which may be damaging our internals. Because of the additives, such as chlorine and others that are poured into our water supply in order to make it 'pure' it is not healthy for our internals.

Since we cannot always control what goes into the main water supply, that ultimately comes through our facets, we should protect ourselves by installing approved water filters in our homes. Some water supplies are of course better than others, but because we cannot know for sure - it is always better to be safe than sorry!

Our bodies use up more water than anything else we intake to carry out its many functions. I will not gamble on this one! There are a wide range of effective water filters and purifiers on the market today. Thank goodness!

Prevention is definitely better than cure!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Folks, just do me one favor. Don't go buying BOTTLED water to avoid tap water. Most bottled water on the market is tap water which was stored in a plastic bottle for months. (mmm, pcb's...)

Filtering is the reasonable solution if you are concerned about the quality of your tap water.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (01-05-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
(female)

pattybug HB User
Lightbulb Re: can drinking tap water cause problems ?

Get your water tested....sounds like high chlorine...but be on the safe side of things and test it...
I enjoy the fresh crisp taste of bottled spring water

Closed Thread