It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

graylady48 HB User
don't understand-fruit is alkaline?

I have just recently began researching an alkaline diet as recommended by my Doctor of Natural Health for my fibromatosis.
I can understand how the body can be too alkaline or too acidic and I believe, from what I've read, that I am probably too acidic.
However, I don't understand the list of foods that are recommended for an alkaline diet. When I eat lime, onions, mango, grapes, apples...actually most fruit, that is when I do suffer with what seems to be excess acid in my stomach causing pain and gas for days. It's for this reason that I rarely eat fruit.
How can it be, that these foods that are recommended to counter-act an acidic body level are the very ones that produce these symptoms of acidity in me?
Is there something I'm not getting?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: don't understand-fruit is alkaline?

Fruit itself is acid. According to the acid vs alkaline theory of foods, which I personally do not accept 100%, certain foods cause your biochemistry to become more acidic, and others trigger it to become more alkaline.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I'm with you janewhite, I think that theory is unfounded and personally I think it's a load of cr**. Just my opinion.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

The reason I disagree with the theory is the fact that the pH in the stomach and then again in the intestines, is so drastic, that the little differences in foods could not affect the pH at all. Besides, where does this "ash" form? Certainly not in the stomach because gastric fluid is around 1.8-2.0 pH. Even if say, bread had even double the acidic ash of spinach, doubling the acid only moves the pH about 0.2 units if that. Nobody I have ever talked to that bought into this could ever provide me with any credible chemistry.

But I'm open minded. So let's just suppose for one second that this were actually true. It still could not haven anything to do with acid reflux. When we say foods are alkalizing or acidifying, we are talking about cellular and intercellular fluid AFTER metabolism, not while in the stomach.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

graylady48 HB User

bdrunner,
Well you are certainly more informed than I am. I am very knew to this theory and have very limited knowledge when it comes to what happens inside our bodies.
What are your thoughts on Ph strips for checking alkaline/acid levels?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The only way in which foods have been proven to indirectly affect the pH of the digestive system is fat content. Foods high in fat stimulate the stomach to produce more acid to break it down properly.

There are some people on this board who swear that moving to an "alkaline" diet helped their reflux tremendously. And the diets they are following are essentially healthy, with lots of vegetables and small portions of meat. Perhaps for them, it is helping, but I do question the mechanism.

Bottom line, most doctors will tell you that acidic fruits are NOT good for a sensitive stomach. While giving up all fruits permanently isn't good for the general health, certainly look for ones that don't irritate your digestion. Bananas are a good bet. Ones that are mildly irritating I eat in small portions along with plenty of bland foods for cushioning. Ones that are very irritating I avoid.

By the way, I don't think there is such a thing as a Doctor of Natural Health. Ontario does license Naturopathic physicians (ND). Is that his proper title? Otherwise his credentials may be made up. The Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors lists 25 in your area.

Whether naturopathic physicians are useful is another matter.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graylady48 View Post
bdrunner,
Well you are certainly more informed than I am. I am very knew to this theory and have very limited knowledge when it comes to what happens inside our bodies.
What are your thoughts on Ph strips for checking alkaline/acid levels?
Well, here's the thing. If you go ahead and take a look at a list of alkaline foods, they are all generally very healthy. And secondly, if they do not irritate your stomach, even better. My opinion is that there is another reason why these foods "work" instead of the acid/base theory. I do encourage you to eat a lot of these foods on that list though, especially if they don't irritate your stomach. I personally have eaten a lot of those foods and yes, I admit I do feel better. I admit also that I don't suffer from acid reflux either.

pH strips are fine to use. I have heard people use it on saliva and on urine. Unfortunately I am not the person to ask about pH levels of those fluids! Perhaps someone else on here has used them in the past. I personally haven't done much with them.

I am a bit skeptical, since regardless of what you eat, your body will keep its pH in various areas the same, or at least try to. I am NOT sure about excretory fluids though, such as urine.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

graylady48 HB User

janewhite1

I apologize. She is a Doctor of Natural Medicine alond with her Husband.

These DNM's, treated me, and some of my family and friends, for several food and seasonal allergies, using their BIE treatment. They also treated me using herbs and supplements for other common ailments. I have had great success with them. My MD could not have even begun to help me. Their practice is slowly being recognizized in the U.S. It is a new theory, yes, but to me, a proven one.

I agree about picking out the fruit that one can tolerate to avoid stomach irritation. I believe it can be easily done given the many choices of alkaline fruit.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Those allergy elimination techniques are not supported by any statistically valid evidence. That's all I'm going to say.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
(female)

graylady48 HB User

Maybe you dont believe BIE, but I can tell you that I now eat some foods, that prior to treatment gave me tremendous intolerance headaches.
I also can give you other instances where people have had this treatment with great successes.

Don't knock what you haven't tried.

That's all I have to say.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graylady:

If you want to keep going there, keep going there. Just regard them with the same skepticism you apply to conventional medical doctors, and if they ask you to do something that seems to be harming you, think twice.

Closed Thread