It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
(male)

Stoneface HB User
Getting a little discouraged... advise?

Starting on December 17 I outlined a new intake routine. The only scale I can use only goes up to 400 lbs and I'm not sure how much I weigh, but not too long before starting this routine I passed the maximum reading of the scale, so I know I'm beyond 400.

Basically, I calculated what it would take to maintain a weight of 405 lbs at my current height, age and sex; 4,236 calories per day. I know that after I've accumulated 3,500 calories less than an average 4,236 per day I'll have lost a pound. I've gone off a few times - Christmas, New Years and my birthday was yesterday - but have taken in a calculated 35,593 calories less than I would have if I ate an average of 4,236 calories per day (I'm averaging 1,318.25 caloires below my "break-even" inake of 4,236). So, by my calculations, I should have lost 10.17 lbs.

Here's the thing: When I went down to Dr. Sweeten's - he lets me weigh on his scale - I set the weight all the way to the max, beyond the 400 mark, which I imagine is about 402, and it didn't automatically register my weight as over. In fact, it barely registered me as under that maximum mark (I hope I'm making snese since I don't know the names of the parts of those old fashion scales with the sliders on them). I was pretty happy since now I can start to actually visually track my progress instead of just hoping my calculations are correct. However, when I went to the head doctor last night, his nurse weight me on her 400 lbs scale, but it didn't even act like I was anywhere around the 400 mark. I stepped up and that teetering piece that houses the sliders just tinked upward... in a hurry.

If anyone understands what I'm saying, if you can just help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

God bless,

Rowdy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User
Re: Getting a little discouraged... advise?

Weight can fluctuate throughout the day. Water weight has a lot to do with that. Don't feel discouraged, though. It seems like your calculations are correct. If you eat fewer calories than you burn off, trust me, you'll lose weight. Your BMR can vary. The advantage of counting calories is so that you don't accidentally consume more than you think you would consume, not so much in ascertaining an exact number of calories burnt off and weight lost--because there's a limit to how precisely you can measure this.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Well, good news! I went down and weighed today and checked in at 397. That's down from being over the 402 mark just last Thursday; not bad, huh? I'm stoked!

Thanks for the encouragement, though. It's appreciated.

God bless,

Rowdy

Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

AWESOME!!! Keep it up!

Pup

If you get a cheap dial scale that goes to 300, you can let it go around once and add the numbers together if you want to check it at home.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
(male)

Stoneface HB User

I had thought about that, but I weigh compulsively when I have a scale at my disposal. Having to borrow one keeps my weigh-ins down to once a week. Thanks for the advice, though.

God bless,

Rowdy

Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
(male)

Stoneface HB User

Thanks for the advise, but I just can't take this crap anymore. I guess I'm just too weak-willed. I went back and weighed a week later and had gained five pounds, according to the scale I've been using. I thought, "Maybe it's the time of day, or how much I've eaten today before weighing." So, I weighed again the next week and was still up three pounds. Again the following week and hadn't lost a pound.

It doesn't help that I don't have a damn clue what I'm doing in the first place or that you have to have a doggone Ph.D. in math to eat something, but the fact that you bust your butt for a month and your weight goes up? That's just devastating. I wasn't planning on losing twenty pounds over the six weeks, but five would have been nice. Heck, anything more than two pounds would have been nice.

You cut out all bread, milk, cheese, eggs, etc, and lose so little weight that you may have not lost any at all. I mean I went in and weighed in denim jeans and a jacket the first day then sweats and a t-shirt the last; that could be the two pounds I "think" I lost.

Whatever. Screw it.

God bless,

Rowdy

Last edited by Stoneface; 02-01-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Closed Thread