It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

MneckHsEsathroa HB User
anti cancer foods

please post all the list that make anti cancer foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: anti cancer foods

Broccoli, Onion/garlic family, fresh salads & vegetables generally, tea- particularly green tea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MneckHsEsathroa View Post
please post all the list that make anti cancer foods.
I wonder if this is to fight cancer or to avoid getting cancer. If it is to fight cancer, it might be a good idea to take extra measures. Existing cancer needs a big energy supply for rapid growth so excess calories from processed sugar and starch is what it likes. Another item that seems to feed cancer is red meat.

Too help avoid getting cancer some books recommend eliminating all animal protein. One such book is, "The China Study". It explains how animal protein promotes cancer.

I agree with bubble girl that vegetables are very important. Especially cruciferous vegetables. If you will do a search of "cruciferous vegetables", I'm sure you will find a long list of them. They contain phytochemicals that fight cancer.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

MelSilver HB User

It's a known fact that 1/3 of all cancers are preventable. A healthy diet and a healthy body weight combined with exercise greatly decrease your risk of cancer. A diet rich in fruit and vegetables is optimal.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelSilver View Post
It's a known fact that 1/3 of all cancers are preventable.
Only 1/3? I thought it was more like 2/3 preventable. I suppose it depends on your source of information. I have read different percentages from various books. This morning I was reading "The Ultimate pH solution" and I thought I read something like 7 percent of cancers are not preventable. I'll have to check that when I get home.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I don't think there is such a thing as an anticancer food. The reason the percentage of cancer has skyrocketed probably has to do with foods that may promote cancer. So you need to avoid those. Like John said, processed foods are really bad. We already know scientifically that corn syrup weakens cell membranes and cell walls, and this is well-known to allow cells to divide uncontrolled and rapidly. Animal protein? I don't believe that eating normal amounts acutally promotes cancer. Humans are actually equipped in the digestive tract to metabolize meat. It's tough to get all of the amino acids from just vegetables and nuts. It's faster to eat small portions of meat. Early humans ate a lot of meat, so I'd say your best bet is to simply avoid processed and unnatural foods.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
Animal protein? I don't believe that eating normal amounts acutally promotes cancer. Humans are actually equipped in the digestive tract to metabolize meat. It's tough to get all of the amino acids from just vegetables and nuts. It's faster to eat small portions of meat. Early humans ate a lot of meat....
You made some valid points. Since the beginning of this year I have started to include some lean meat in my diet. I'm not sure I like the idea but knowing that I am type O has helped. Type 0 people are suppose to have good digestive systems for digesting meat. (I'll have more to say about "Eat Right For Your Type" in a subsequent thread)

I'm beginning to think that the reason animal protein can be bad is because it may upset a person's pH balance. I think we know that animal protein gets metabolized as acid and it is this acid environment that sets up ideal conditions for cancer.

So when you say, "normal amounts", that's the key but it depends on how each person interprets that and it depends on their overall diet. Is their overall diet acid or alkaline? Most Americans tend to overeat animal protein and avoid healthy vegetables.

About early humans: They ate a lot of meat but getting cancer was the least of their worries. It's likely that they didn't live long enough to get cancer. And meat was a good (concentrated) source of energy for them.
What do you think? Was it okay for them because they also ate a lot of natural plant foods? At any rate, I don't think eating a lot of animal protein is good for us today (if we hope to live longer) because the more of it we eat, the more we displace natural fruits, leafy greens and other healthy (alkaline) vegetables.

P.S. I don't follow The China Study's plant based diet anymore but I recommended it because I think it provides some balance. I think it has a lot of good information. The downside is that the author doesn't exactly tell how we should go about getting enough protein. He leaves it up to us to figure it out.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-24-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Remember that the nutritional profile of wild animal meat is different from domesticated animal meat. Wild caught fish may be the type of meat in the modern grocery store that is most similar to what prehistoric humans (near fishing waters, of course) may have eaten.

Selective breeding changed plants as well as animals.

Also, the process of hunting and gathering food in prehistoric times was far more arduous than the process of gathering food from a modern grocery store. Prehistoric humans undoubtedly got a lot more exercise than nearly all modern humans in rich countries (except perhaps those in heavy manual labor jobs and athletes).

The Following User Says Thank You to tjlhb For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Thanks guys, those are valid points that I hadn't thought of. John I get the impression that you are saying perhaps we can't really "follow the rules" anymore that older or earlier humans did. Maybe they had the chance of getting cancer but you're right, never lived long enough to find out. tjlhb had a great point of differences in quality of meat these days vs. before. That could be a big problem for those of us who want to eat healthy, try to eat healthy, but sometimes can't due to quality. I think as processing of even fresh fruits and vegetables and espeically meat increase, we are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Look at all the fat-soluble insectisides and pesticides used these days on fruits and vegetables. Obviously they enter the skin and then when we eat these, we also absorb them. Water can't wash a lot of them off. Despite in improvements of these compounds, I think there could still be some residual left.

Good thoughts and discussion, thank you.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

The World Health Organization (WHO) puts out a World Cancer Report. Their research indicates that about 4% of cancers are "inherited or genetic." The rest (about 96%) are caused by lifestyle (diet and environment etc.) and are preventable.

"The China Study" (on page 85) states that only 2 to 3% of all cancers are genetic.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
(male)

Talon2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
The World Health Organization (WHO) puts out a World Cancer Report. Their research indicates that about 4% of cancers are "inherited or genetic." The rest (about 96%) are caused by lifestyle (diet and environment etc.) and are preventable.

"The China Study" (on page 85) states that only 2 to 3% of all cancers are genetic.
Yeah but there are people who do everything right eat well, exercise, works in an clean environment doesn't smoke or drink yet still ends up getting cancer.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

andyand HB User

Raw veggies are good cancer fighters. Sugars are cancer boosters. Be careful of those.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2 View Post
Yeah but there are people who do everything right eat well, exercise, works in an clean environment doesn't smoke or drink yet still ends up getting cancer.
They may be part of the 2 to 4% of people whos cancer is inherited or genetic. Or, they might be mistaken about "doing everything right". It's likely that everyone has a different idea of what constitutes "doing everything right."

Anyway, there are so many hazards in modern society, how does one go about doing everything right? There are bound to be slip ups or mistakes.
And a mistake that is thought to be minor may be fatal to someone who is sensitive. Everyone is different.

Closed Thread