It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
what is sprouted wheat bread

Hi,

So, what exactly is sprouted wheat bread? Also, what is meant by 100% whole grain and 100% whole wheat? Is that different wording for the same thing? I've recently been getting away from from eating alot of the "bad" carbs (the kind that spike your blood sugar faster and are less nutritious) for the first time and trying to figure out the differences in these foods so I can eat healthier and lose weight.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to alpinemeadow For This Useful Post:
nattapol55 (01-28-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: what is sprouted wheat bread

Hi from my understanding wheat and/or perhaps other grains is sprouted then it is ground up and sometimes other ingredients are added then it may be baked or dehydrated and packaged. I would not use vinegar and it is sometimes added to sprouted bread. What is the weight and height?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

The height is 5-5, the weight is a secret! All I am willing to say is I have quite a bit to lose.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Sprouted grain is just grain that is sprouted before being ground up to make into bread.

Whole grain means that the bran and germ are not separated out and removed. Whole wheat is the same thing specific to wheat.

You may want to track loss of body fat by measuring your waistline at the navel. Less than half your height is a reasonable goal. Weight can be deceiving, since gain or loss of muscle can confound it as a measure of fat loss. Muscle gain (from exercise) is good, while muscle loss (from lack of exercise) is bad.

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-19-2011 at 10:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjlhb For This Useful Post:
alpinemeadow (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemeadow View Post
I've recently been getting away from from eating alot of the "bad" carbs (the kind that spike your blood sugar faster and are less nutritious) for the first time and trying to figure out the differences in these foods so I can eat healthier and lose weight.
Even if you find the healthiest bread, you need to be careful not to eat more than one serving per meal. I believe one serving is one slice. Is that correct? I think the Zone diet even recommends no more than 1/2 a slice per meal.

The other rule is: No more than one starchy item per meal. So, for example, if you're having bread, you shouldn't have any corn, potatoes or rice in the same meal.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
alpinemeadow (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks for your replies.

I am thinking about posting my labwork on the diabetic board and having the folks over there take a look. The last time I had labwork done my fasting blood sugar was awesome. My cholesterol was great, but the rest of the cholesterol/lipid profile was borderline to the badside. My doctor sent me the results and on the lipid line her response was :These values are excellent. I was puzzled. They are totally teetering on the edge. From what I have gathered from my reading is that these values are pointing to the fact I am developing insulin resistance. Also, my blood pressure is creeping up. Supposed to be another indicator. I will ask my doc about this at the next appt.

So I am searching/learning the best way for me to eat. I feel like I still have time to reverse this. (I feel like I am heading straight for a diabetes diagnosis.) I am quite overweight, don't want to say the number, but I feel the need to be aggressive about it, there's no more time to lose. I have goofed off long enough. I'm taking responsibility for my health from here on out.

So, of course I am a consumer of bread, but bread is probably not the best choice for me to eat. That brought me to my original question of what exactly the different breads are all about. I never cared before, but I do now. I think like JohnR said to keep the portion small no matter how healthy
it is. That is great advice. I have already eliminated all the junk foods I had been consuming: nachos, ice cream, snack crackers, pasta, the list is a long one. But the bread issue remained a concern. My first bite of the sprouted wheat was gross, but now I like it. (a lot) Thought I'd check it out with you guys to get the scoop.

I am eating so much healthier. I feel really good, better than in a long time, and my clothes are already getting looser, so I feel like I am on the right track. Any other thoughts, ideas are truly appreciated. (have learned a ton from the diabetes board too, that board is awesome)

Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi in my opinion cholesterol might get better with sunshine, avoidance of vitamin D from artificial sources and avoiding animal products. Sunshine converts cholesterol to vitamin D in the opinion of some trusted sources. If vitamin D is present from artificial sources it may just leave the cholesterol still there and even collecting to higher levels in the body and unchanged over to vitamin because vitamin D is already there. From what was learned in the past animals have cholesterol in them so animals and their products aught not to be put in the body in my opinion. Have a nice day!

Last edited by sjb; 02-02-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: grammar clarification

Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

If you're worried about your blood sugar, and good health in general, you should try sprouted bread that is not made from flour. The sprouts may be chopped up or ground up but not made into finely ground flour. I use Ezekiel bread. It's made from a variety of sprouted grains and beans sprouts and therefore offers complete protein. And because it's not made from finely ground flour, like most breads, it will get absorbed slower and keep your blood sugar level more steady.

The one I buy (low sodium) has no preservatives or additives so it must be kept in the freezer. I will remove one slice from the freezer and heat it in a covered dish in the microwave. Then I'll drizzle one teaspoon of olive oil over it and eat it just like that, while it's hot and moist.

My local supermarket has it in their freezer section. It's more expensive than regular bread but lasts a long time because I don't use any more than 2 slices per day.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
(female)

vstevens HB User

A seed or grain that is sprouted will have greatly increased protein content, making it a more complete protein.

This is a good thing if you have any sort of digestion issues, since your body doesn't have to work as hard to create complete proteins during digestion.

Closed Thread