It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

ouchmyfootlol HB User
Smile best foods to eat after surgery?

Hello

just had surgery today. I am wondering if there is anything i should be eating to help with the healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: best foods to eat after surgery?

Well, if it was that recent, your first priority is to eat something that will not upset your stomach after the drugs you've been given.

Beyond that, vegetables are never a bad plan. It kinda depends on what surgery it was and what your overall state of health is. You had your sesamoid bones removed, right? In that case, just focus on fresh fruits and vegetables to keep your immune system up and make sure you heal properly (Vitamin A and C are vital for healing). Some meats and grains will keep you full and supply protein and iron. Just generally good food.

One issue with foot injuries is, what kind of help do you have? Are you providing your own meals? If so, convenience is going to be a huge factor. I'm on crutches right now myself, and my latest triumph of laziness is eating dry cereal out of the box with a cup of milk for breakfast, because it's easier to carry a cup than a bowl!

If, like many patients, you have family but they aren't home in the daytime, you may want to ask someone to prepare you some food and put it in the fridge, or at least make sure you have sandwich fixings on hand. Nutritious TV dinners aren't as good as home cooking, but they are far better than trying to make a meal out of chips and crackers. I'm rather fond of anything made by Annie's.

If you are going to be laid up for a while, avoid junk food so you don't gain weight. (While on drugs and in pain, many people actually lose weight. It's the next stage of recovery, feeling kinda ok but still not able, where you have to look out for weight gain.)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
ouchmyfootlol (02-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

ouchmyfootlol HB User

Thank you janewhite1
yes i had 2 pieces of my fibular sesamoid removed. The bone had lost its blood supply and it wasnt going to heal on its own dispite my efforts with a bone healing machine,soaks and non weight bearing.
im no good with crutches! Using a walker. Just dont have the balance. Im sorry to hear you are using them. May i ask why? Im trying to figure out how to carry a cup of coffee with me back to bed. Are you able to use just one crutch?
I have my live in bf helping me. Although he does work full time. When i am alone i just have toast or ensure. I also have quite a pile of junk food near my bed. Which isnt a great idea! Did it incase i get sick from the strong meds i have crackers and trail mix. I will focus on fruit and veggies. Once I can get around i am going to get my juicer out should be alot easier to get more vitamins that way.
im probably rambeling lol its the meds!
thanks again for your reply and advice.
take care

Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

ouchmyfootlol HB User
Talking Re: best foods to eat after surgery?

Thank you janewhite1
yes i had 2 pieces of my fibular sesamoid removed. The bone had lost its blood supply and it wasnt going to heal on its own dispite my efforts with a bone healing machine,soaks and non weight bearing.
im no good with crutches! Using a walker. Just dont have the balance. Im sorry to hear you are using them. May i ask why? Im trying to figure out how to carry a cup of coffee with me back to bed. Are you able to use just one crutch?
I have my live in bf helping me. Although he does work full time. When i am alone i just have toast or ensure. I also have quite a pile of junk food near my bed. Which isnt a great idea! Did it incase i get sick from the strong meds i have crackers and trail mix. I will focus on fruit and veggies. Once I can get around i am going to get my juicer out should be alot easier to get more vitamins that way.
im probably rambeling lol its the meds!
thanks again for your reply and advice.
take care

Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchmyfootlol View Post
....just had surgery today. I am wondering if there is anything i should be eating to help with the healing.
At the very least I would eliminate "junk food" and that includes Ensure, in my opinion. (If you read the ingredient label you'll see what I mean.) Stick with reasonable amounts of whole foods. More than anything else, I think healing requires adequate protein. (More is not always better so don't overeat protein.)

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-12-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Punctuation etc.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Carrying food and drink is problematic. A container with a lid helps a lot, like a coffee travel mug with a lid that screws on tightly. For cold drinks, sometimes I take a big plastic cup, fill it only part way with beverage, and pinch the side of the cup between two fingers as I hold the crutches. Takeout container or tupperware in a backpack or plastic shopping bag is a good way to move food.

Definitely get yourself some real food. Now that it's the weekend, maybe your boyfriend can prepare some proper meals for you and get them in the fridge. If cooking isn't his thing, buying nutritious frozen foods or some sliced turkey or peanut butter for sandwiches should be within his skill set.

It's not a pleasant topic, but with those narcotics, make sure that you have enough fiber that you don't get too constipated. Also, if you start feeling very nauseous, just eat whatever will stay down, crackers, whatever. At this point, eating SOMETHING is most important.

I have a minor bone injury in my knee, hairline fracture in the tibia. Not my first time on crutches but still annoying. (LAST time I lived in a tiny apartment with no stairs and a kitchen 2 steps from the COUCH, now that was convenient!)

Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
(female)

ouchmyfootlol HB User

John: thanks for the advice. I checked the ensure label and was surprised at how much sugar is in there! I will treat them like a milk shake from now on!

Jane: Great advice. My BF is Italian and loves to cook which is a good thing BUT i have packed on a good 30 pounds since we have met! so I'm trying to make changes. Started using turkey meat instead of beef. added more beans to our meals. Its going to be a long road! I have to stop eating as much as he does.

Im sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would avoid the meats personally since meats contain pathogens which could be contracted before cooking and contribute to infections. When the stomach is hungry and there are no more irritating pain meds to be taken no vomiting and no diarrhea some foods containing vitamin C such as lemons, grapefruits, limes, raw sweet pepper may contribute to healing of the site. Foods containing niacin may be useful to dialate blood vessels a bit and contribute also. Beans, and grains combined are said to make a complete protein. If a person has gout I would not use these items at the same time but in different meals or even different days. Have a nice day!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
ouchmyfootlol (02-12-2011)
Closed Thread