It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

bbw0904 HB User
Shaking while dieting

I have tried many different diets, ways of eating right, etc. A typical day would be:

Breakfast - bagel with peanut butter and fruit
Snack - cottage cheese and yogurt
Lunch - Turkey sandwich on wheat, pretzels, fruit
Snack - Protein bar
Dinner - chicken breast, potato, veggie
Snack - protein shake/recovery drink after workout

This can change somewhat, but it's the general idea. About 2:00 every day, I start shaking like my blood sugar is low. I try eating another piece of fruit, but that doesn't help. The only thing that stops it is eating something unhealthy like a candy bar or something. I've been tested for diabetes and thyroid problems. Any suggestions/ideas? Again, this is with multiple diet plans and just eating better.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Shaking while dieting

Hi has a machine been used to see how low the sugar is?

I would skip the protein shake at night and the snacking since this wears out the pancreas.

Meats wear out the pancreas because the fat content of the cells of the animal require lipase from the pancreas. The pancreas is further worn when protease is required to digest the protein in the protein bar and meats.
Sugar also wears out the pancreas so a sweet shake at night is not suggested.

A better routine might be vegetables, grains, fruits and a spare amount of nuts. The dried beans are suggested by some to be a couple times a week.

I would not use the yogurts and dairies as these require quite a bit of protein and they also contain bacteria.

Are any meds being taken?
Have a nice day!

Last edited by sjb; 03-15-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Grammar

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
bbw0904 (03-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

bbw0904 HB User

No meds are currently being taken. I've actually just tried adding the protein shake at night after I work out two days ago. Before that, I was eating almonds at night.

I am not sure what my actual blood sugar is. I just start shaking and feel the way you do when the blood sugar is low. I guess my concern is that I've done South Beach, P90X, Body for Life, and as simple as low cal. I have a degree in biology, not that I know everything about eating right (I know I still have a lot to learn), but I have a general knowledge of it. I know that there are good/bad calories and that I should try switching the meals around. This hasn't helped. I know that no person's body is alike, but most people can do at least some kind of diet like this without this problem. I guess that's why I'm wondering if there could be other possibilities besides diabetes or thyroid problems.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi of course there are other possibilities such as hypoglycemia but to be sure a professional would be needed to check.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbw0904 View Post
I have tried many different diets, ways of eating right, etc. A typical day would be:

Breakfast - bagel with peanut butter and fruit
Snack - cottage cheese and yogurt
Lunch - Turkey sandwich on wheat, pretzels, fruit
Snack - Protein bar
Dinner - chicken breast, potato, veggie
Snack - protein shake/recovery drink after workout
You didn't give any portion sizes or number of calories per day of your diet. The shaking could be the result of too few calories and/or too little protein. I don't want to make any assumptions. For example, you might be eating 1/2 a sandwich or a whole sandwich.

If your diet is primarilly for health (not losing weight) you need to have a certain number of calories for energy and heat. Otherwise, you might feel cold and shaky. And that may cause your blood sugar to be low too.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

How long have you been on this diet? Like JohnR said, are you eating enough? Your symptoms do almost suggest low BS. Do you have a home meter to check when you feel like this? Usually orange juice or a small candy bar will bring it up. Make sure your not going under the calorie count you need to maintain a healthy diet, especially if your also exercising, as you may be burning off your food too fast.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would change the timing for the almonds and use them at breakfast or lunch but not for supper since it takes much longer to digest them and the stomach needs something light at night. Good whole wheat homemade bread without additives or baking soda might be useful. Yeast can be used for the bread if there are no Candida problems. If there is a candida problem the breads can be made as a flat bread without yeast.
What is the height and weight?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi In one case I know a man was overweight and his blood sugar was low. The pancreas probably kept pouring out insulin to cover for the extra food. Sometimes I understand, as time goes on the pancreas wears out and it is more difficult to produce the insulin anymore so the person starts becoming a diabetic.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
(male)

hagenmi1 HB User

Hey OP this is the same thing that happens to me. I changed the way I ate and wanted to lose weight. Since last fall I have lost 40 pounds. I was 220 and today I finally reached my goal of 180. I'm a 6 foot tall male. When I was too low on calories I would get shaky, really shaky. I bought a glucose meter but my BS was fine. It even got to the point where I was feeling anxious. After implementing supplements and increasing the food intake I felt great. This last week I pushed it to reach my goal, and the shakiness returned. So I'll gently increase food intake to address what I suspect is a low calorie issue.

You're right, everyones body is different. What worked for me was listening to my body and staying away from foods I'm clearly addicted too (fatty,carby, salty foods). Increase your intake and listen to your body. There is no special formula here, only guidelines.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I wonder if increasing foods with B vitamins such as cooked navy and other type of dried legumes or greens may help decrease shakiness while dieting, if blood sugar is fine.

Closed Thread