It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Avoiding Aspartame

I'd like to experiment with avoiding aspartame to see if it's possibly a migraine trigger for me. I noticed recently that after having crystal light a few different days, my heart hurt (although not severe).

I love, love, love diet soda. I do not like regular soda at all. I drink quite a lot of water and have about one diet soda a day as a treat. I realize that alternatives are available, like diet soda with splenda or stevia. I have heard that some people get migraines/headaches from splenda as well, so I'd rather avoid it in the meantime for my little "experiment." Something like stevia, I feel more comfortable with. I actually would feel SAD to never have diet soda, because it's like a little treat for me and it's SO refreshing. I realize some people will tell me to just never have diet soda, but I'd be quite disappointed I do like sparkling green tea and sparkling water, but these have the same sweeteners! Since too much sugar makes me feel bad, I don't drink sugary beverages at all, not even juice!

I also chew sugar-free gum quite often. I am taking a medication that gives me very dry mouth. I sip water a lot, but if I'm in a meeting, my bladder gets too full and I'm having trouble holding it to use the restroom! Most of the time, I have the flexibility to run to the restroom and all, but occasionally, I can't fill myself with this much water. I can't talk for that long without gum or my mouth dries too much.

Do any of you have any tips for alternatives with chewing gum and diet soda? Hopefully there is something out there without sugar (since that would KILL my teeth to be having so much with the gum) and not super hard to find or expensive.

***ALSO, today I went without the products all day and felt pretty awful. My head hurt and I started to get a migraine and had to take my prescriptions (I feel much better now or I wouldn't be able to be on the computer), so I gave in and had a diet soda, since they usually GREATLY HELP my migraines when taken with my medicine. I also gave in and had a piece of gum. That with the medicine just made me feel better! Just one can of soda and half a piece of gum! Is it better to make this a GRADUAL change? I don't have a ton of aspartame, but I definitely have a few pieces of gum each day, so maybe it's more than I thought. How can I avoid feeling bad when I'm not having it?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

bamakathy HB User
Re: Avoiding Aspartame

I recently gave up asperatame, not because of migranes but just difficulty concentrating. I've been a diet cola junkie for years, and I don't like regular soda either. I found a soda in the grocery that has no caffeine, no sodium, and no aspertame - Diet Rite. I like them pretty well. I also found Pepsi One that has Splenda. I do think it's better to limit those diet drinks to maybe two a day, and in between drink lots of cold water. I couldn't give them up completely right now either, so I understand. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Avoiding Aspartame

Thank you for your reply! I have definitely considered the drinks that use Splenda instead. I've heard that some people also have trouble with Splenda, but it seems that the risks are much less, and of course I'd only have it in moderation. I haven't seen gum that uses Splenda, but I can probably look around a bit harder. I have bought the Walgreens generic diet soda and it uses Splenda and tastes pretty good.

My brother highly recommends Stevia products and buys sodas that use it. Unfortunately they are probably about triple the price, but he really enjoys them.

Haha I actually prefer that I find a non-aspartame soda WITH caffeine! My brother said that one of the sodas he likes still has caffeine. I find that I do best with small amounts of caffeine in the earlier half of the day. I make sure to not have too much of it, but it helps my migraines to have it in small amounts... and I definitely like it so I can be more alert at work, although I'm usually still tired!

I also got myself some sparkling water and really enjoyed it. This also doesn't have caffeine and no artificial sweeteners or sugar. Unfortunately this means that it also is not sweet, but as long as you are expecting that, it is still good. I got the St. Croix brand cans of sparkling water in a berry flavor. Since it isn't really sweet, it just has a hint of berry flavor. It also did cost more for a 6-pack of these than a 12-pack of soda, but still not a crazy price. It was good for when I don't necessarily need the caffeine, but want a fizzy beverage (and not beer). It is refreshing too.

I hope you find that your concentration improves with the changes you have made! Best of luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
bamakathy (03-30-2011)
Closed Thread