It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

jazzthefish HB User
Diet advice - teen

I'm not aiming necessarily to lose weight through diet changes, more to make changes for healthier eating.

Currently my daily diet is something like this:
800: 2 nature valley granola bars, orange juice (8 oz)
1030: apple, cup of green tea (2 sugar cubes)
1230: sandwich (turkey/ham/lettuce on hoagie roll), 20 oz water, 2 oreos
1600: sun chips (1 oz)
1700: goldfish (1.5 oz)
1800: 2 pieces garlic bread, beef brisket, 2 chocolate chip cookies
Then in the evening another snack, usually popcorn and also maybe a few gummy snacks or one piece of chocolate, and about another 20 oz of water throughout the day.

Most of these things are fairly constant from day to day. Sometimes I'll have a different type of tea or hot chocolate, occasionally both in one day. Some days I'll have a grilled chicken salad for lunch instead of the sandwich, or a packet of pretzels or teddy grahams or serving of pistachios in place of oreos, sun chips, or goldfish. Dinner depends on what they're serving in the dining hall, but is usually a serving of meat or a bowl of pasta. I would like to cut down on the afternoon snacks, which can probably be achieved either by ignoring the hunger for a while and/or more evenly spacing the times at which I eat.

Any thoughts on the healthiness of my diet as it stands/suggestions for improvement?

Last edited by jazzthefish; 03-29-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Diet advice - teen

Do you have a refrigerator and a stove to cook on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

jazzthefish HB User

My roommate and I share a small refrigerator/freezer. We also have a microwave in our room. In my dorm building there's a student kitchen that I could use which has an oven/stove.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Try adding more vegetables. University dining halls usually have a salad bar at least to add a salad to your meal.

It looks like your breakfast and snacks are mostly sugary or fast digesting carbohydrates. Try consuming more protein and fibrous carbohydrates instead for better nutrition and to keep you from getting hungry too quickly. For example, plain oatmeal with milk or soy milk and an orange for breakfast instead of a sugary granola bar with orange juice (which concentrates the sugars and loses the fiber of the oranges). Whole fruit and vegetables can be more nutritious and satisfying snacks during the day.

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-31-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzthefish View Post
Any thoughts on the healthiness of my diet as it stands/suggestions for improvement?
I agree with tjlhb. You have too many processed snacks/foods and the result is that they are displacing healthy whole foods. The more processed foods or snacks you can eliminate the better chance you will have to maintain good health and a normal healthy weight.

Here are the good items you listed, in my opinion:

Apple, green tea (without sugar), grilled chicken salad and meat from the dining hall as long as it's lean rather than fatty. Combine the meat with lots of vegetables, the more the better. Pistachios are ok in very limited amounts.

What to avoid: Processed meats like hot dogs etc. I don't think ham or turkey sandwiches (on a hoagie) are contributing very much nutrition to your diet. I assume these are sliced deli type meats and very salty. What you're getting is high sodium, low fiber and low nutrition in general. Essentially, it's a bread sandwich....too much bread, especially white bread, has very little nutrition, if any. A bowl of pasta will give you very little nutrition also. The tomato sauce will give you a little but it's not enough to justify eating a big bowl. If possible, it should only be a very small side dish (about 100 calories like a slice of bread). I know, it's a big tease! If that's the case, it might be better to forget about it altogether.

The bottom line is to concentrate on natural whole foods as much as possible and eliminate processed foods as much as possible. Eat as many fresh (non-starchy) vegetables as possible. Vegetables are low in calories and high in nutrition. One serving of meat for a meal is about the size of a deck of cards or the size of the palm of your hand.

One thing you might try is to hard boil a dozen of eggs at one time. Then keep them in a bowl in the refrigerator. You can use them at any time during the day as a snack or whatever. I do this but I only eat the white of the egg. If you eat 2 or 3 whole eggs, it's too much saturated fat.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-02-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: to delete quote and make some word changes

Closed Thread