It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

Resonance19 HB User
Question Macro cycling, eating healthy for teen?

OK so i've had a sort of tumultuous experience with weight loss, diet, foods, etc. I am kind of agfraid of food now, to be honest and i'm trying hard to just stay healthy...

The thing that i've always wondered about is Carbs. carbs carbs carbs, everyone flips out about carbs! All the teen nutrition guides say that our diets should be like 50 percent carbs. If even says that for people that are sedentary!
But isnt that wrong? I mean if you dont need those carbs and you make it your main focus of your diet, arent you going to GAIN weight?

Then i read about carb cycling and macro cycling, or eating more carbs on workout days and less on non workout days.

My questions are:

-Does a 1 hour zumba class count as a workout day? (intense aerobics)
-I do zumba every other day, but i try to play my zumba video game (addicted to zumba!) on the days i dont do it. When i play that, it's a 45 minute session. I believe this could be considered a non workout day, correct?
-If i were to eat 50 percent carbs on workout days and 25-30 percent carbs on non workout days, is that ok, and should i up my fat intake or protein intake (because the rest of those calories need to come from somewhere!)
-should i lower fat intake on non workout days? like to 25 percent?

PS- i try to do basic bodyweight strength exercises- pushups, crunches, planks, lunges, etc everyday. It usually lasts 10-20 minutes.

Also, in case you want to know my measurements, i'll tell you them, but i cant gaurantee my weight. This is because i have had a chronic constipation issue for almost a year, and im still seeing doctors about it, and my weight fluctuates anywhere from 105-115.

The rest of my measurements:
height: 5'4.5"
sex: female

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Macro cycling, eating healthy for teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance19 View Post

The thing that i've always wondered about is Carbs. carbs carbs carbs, everyone flips out about carbs! All the teen nutrition guides say that our diets should be like 50 percent carbs. If even says that for people that are sedentary!
But isnt that wrong? I mean if you dont need those carbs and you make it your main focus of your diet, arent you going to GAIN weight?
It might depend on how you define a carbohydrate food. Are you referring to foods like potatoes, cereal, rice, bread and other baked goods? I believe ALL plant-based foods contain some level of carbohydrates.

How much you need depends on how active you are. If you're going to burn a lot of calories, high carb foods like whole grain bread and rice are high in calories. The bread and rice gets converted to glucose and that's what your muscles use or burn for energy.

How would you know if you're getting to much? You would most likely gain weight. What you don't burn gets converted to fat. This assumes you're eating a normal amount of low fat protein. One serving of low fat meat is about the same size as the palm of your hand. Perhaps a little extra if you're building muscle.

If you use oils or other commercial salad dressings, just a little for flavor will do it. One or two teaspoons per meal should be enough.

More about carbs:

Are you eating "good" carbs or "bad" carbs? Good carbs come from whole foods like fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains and beans. Bad carbs come from highly refined foods like sugar, white bread, pastry, cookies, cakes, pies, candy, candy bars, energy bars and other such items.

It seems to me like you're getting a pretty good workout everyday. But if you feel like you're working harder on any given day, you might decide to eat a little more. If you need more, you should know by how hungry you get. But don't worry so much about carbs. If your meal is balanced, just eat a bigger meal. Or have a snack after a workout if it's not time for a meal. That's what I would do.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-06-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: word change

Closed Thread