It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

123Kathy HB User
Eating healthy

I'm trying to eat healthy. I want to know which is healthier to eat on a lettuces. The leaf or the trunk of a bok choy. Also I heard that the yoke of an egg has more cholesterol than the white.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

InShapeAfter50 HB User
Re: Eating healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Kathy View Post
I'm trying to eat healthy. I want to know which is healthier to eat on a lettuces. The leaf or the trunk of a bok choy. Also I heard that the yoke of an egg has more cholesterol than the white.
Lettuces and cucumbers and celery are all healthy for different reasons. A general guide is to look for colour in your veggies. I no longer eat ice burg lettuce, it has a nice crunch, but no colour and little nutrition. I do eat most of the other lettuces. This is just a general guide. Cucumbers have little colour, but are very good for you, especially if you eat the skin too.
Bok choy is one of my favorite veggies, unfortunately I recently moved and fresh bok choy is hard to get here, I may have to learn how to grow my own. The smaller boy choy with the dark green leave is my preference, but the larger variety that seems to have a larger stem is also good.
You eat all of the boy choy, if using the variety with more stem cut the stem into bite size pieces. You can eat boy choy raw, as in a salad, but it tastes better slightly cooked (stir fry) or in a soup.
I eat the whole egg. I have my own chickens but in the store would look for free range, omega 3 eggs. Yes the whole egg does have more cholesterol, it also has more protein,and 13 essential vitamins and minerals. Think a minute about an egg. An egg can develop into a complete animal. Everything that chicken needs to grow and develop is right there in a complete package, nothing left out and not much room for "fillers". Almost all animals higher on the food chain eat eggs. 100,000 years of evolution is likely to get things right. It has become a fad to throw away the healthiest part of the egg (the yolk) and use only the whites. In a few more years I think people will realize that nature knows what it is doing. Eat foods that nature provides and you do not need to worry too much. On the other hand pre-packaged and processed foods should be handled with care. Some are okay. Some are real time savers, but READ the labels. If sugar is the number one ingredient it is not healthy. It is also a red flag if sugar is listed several times under different names (this is done sometimes just to keep sugar from being the number one ingredient). If it contains anything you can't pronounce, or don't understand or has a number such as red dye #4, think twice before you eat it.
Healthy foods taste good. Experiment try fruits and veggies you have never tried before. Some you will hate, don't eat them. Some you will love. Have fun.
I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
(male)

stanleytapp HB User
Re: Eating healthy

I suggest to eat vegetables as well as fish recipes to have lots of protein.

Closed Thread