It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

tincan83 HB User
Any foods that will promote a healthy immune system?

Hi, can anyone tell me if there are any foods good for building up the immune system? Am trying to be more healthy in my diet.
Thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Any foods that will promote a healthy immune system?

Fresh fruits and vegetables, eaten raw or lightly cooked. Those are the best. Try to choose a variety of colors: Green, orange, red, purple, etc. That's a good way to make sure that you are getting all needed nutrients.

(You shouldn't eat ONLY fruits and veggies, though, moderate portions of meats, dairy, eggs, nuts and grains are also healthy)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
tincan83 (04-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would eat as large as possible a variety of fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables. Because cultured items such as yogurt, cheese (said to be wholly unfit for food) and cultured wheat seem to cause bacterial problems with resultant flatus and burping I would avoid those. I would avoid dairy because of a common strep problem that often gives many a person a sore throat that is sometimes hard to get rid of. I would avoid eggs that are often contaminated with bacteria. It is said that some of these bacteria are not destroyed with heat or freezing.

A sublingual vitamin B-12 under the tongue for 20 minutes is said to be useful. Another doctor said she thinks the manufactured type of vitamin tablets might be a potential cause of cancer. A different doctor said she thought the bacteria in the gut produce enough vitamin B-12 in the gut of a vegan to be enough. Of course if the vegan eats vegetables and salads fresh from the garden and some of them raw the bacteria needed of proper flora will probably be there. A fourth source and most trusted source says in fruits grains nuts and vegetables are all the elements that we need.

Some things that I would avoid are mustard, vinegar, ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressings, snacks which are refined, sweets, pastries, candies, food additives, artificial sweeteners, MSG (can cause a terrible headache), most boxed, packaged and canned items (unless they have been canned in glass jars without unhealthy items such as food additives), alcohol, tobacco, and drugs in the system.

Last edited by sjb; 04-29-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: deletion

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
tincan83 (04-30-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Very good advice from above posters and you may also look into taking a Probiotic. My Dr. recommended them last year when I was on antibiotics as I had Diarrhea and was also dehyrated. Also told me to make sure it said Acidophilus on the bottle. Don't know if it was just a fluke or what, but this was my first year without a severe cold. Yes I had some sniffles and stuffiness a few times, but nothing I needed treatment for.

Along with good foods don't forget REST, it definately boosts your immune system. A multi vitamin plus 500 mgs. of vitamin C is good as well. Wouldn't hurt to drink some green tea as well..good antioxidants.

Best of luck and wishes...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
tincan83 (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
(male)

tincan83 HB User

Just want to thank everyone who posted for the good advice

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Your more then welcome and we wish you luck...JJ....

Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

I've heard that blueberries are good for your immune system.
I keep a giant bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer and have a blueberry smoothie almost every day. Wild blueberries are even better than cultivated ones (but more expensive; I can't afford them).

I've also heard that cruciferous vegetables are good for your immune system. These would include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussels sprouts, to name some common ones.
Fortunately, I love all of those.

It's better to lightly steam or stir-fry these veggies. Boiling them leeches out some of the nutrients.

Really, I'm sure that all fruits and vegetables are good for your immune system.
I've heard that the more brightly or darkly colored veggies are better for you (for instance, romaine lettuce has more nutrients than iceberg lettuce), but that's not categorically true because cauliflower, for example, is very nutritious, and it's white.

I've heard it's important to "eat a rainbow", to include different colored fruits and veggies in your diet, if not every day then at least every week.
For instance, in one week you might eat blueberries, eggplant or purple cabbage, tomatoes, red apples, carrots, cantaloupe, orange bell peppers, yellow squash, bananas, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, etc.
You get the idea. Let the colors be your guide.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
tincan83 (04-30-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

Full of Life HB User

All good suggestions!
Garlic not only keeps vampires away - it's one of the best immune-boosters - and chewing a bit of fresh parsley afterwards takes away garlic-breath.
Also berries of any kind, particularly blueberries and blackberries.
I read recently that walnuts have almost twice as many antioxidants as most other nuts - according to a recent National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full of Life For This Useful Post:
sjb (08-12-2011), tincan83 (05-02-2011)
Closed Thread