It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

ArtVandalay HB User
Balanced diet without meat or fish?

I've always been overweight and generally unhealthy in terms of diet and lifestyle. Im in my late twenties and want to make a change. The enjoyment of eating junk like chips and pizza is being overtaken by being overweight, unfit and generally dissatisfied with myself.

Rather than go on a fad diet that i will not stick to, i want to really increase the amount of exercise i take and attempt to maintain a healthy, balanced diet. I've always been a fussy eater when it comes to some things and i cannot eat fish or chicken in any form. Beef i can manage but i really dont enjoy eating it. The only real protein i regularly eat is bacon. I have no problems with any veg or fruit.

I realise that along with healthy carbohydrate foods like brown bread and rice i need to have some protein in my diet. Can anyone advice me on how someone who eats very little meat get protein into their system? Tofu might be an idea, it's not particularly appetizing but im willing to make it work for me but any other suggestions on what i should be doing in terms of nutrition would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Balanced diet without meat or fish?

My mother has been vegetarian for almost 40 years, and bore and nursed 2 big healthy babies without eating any meat. She never became anemic. It can be done!

Nuts, eggs and beans are all good protein sources. Even bread has protein, check the label. Lowfat or nonfat dairy foods are a good source of many nutrients, if you like them. Also, a person really doesn't need an enormous amount of protein to enjoy good health.

Really, it's all about the vegetables, though. Try to get several servings every day. I try to aim for 2 veggies in my dinner each night, preferably one green and one another color. Yams are tasty, filling and high in nutrients.

You might also want to check out some of the protein sources in your local ethnic grocery. Taste stuff and see what you like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
(male)

Johnclave HB User

You can also get good nutrients and proteins from vegetables and fruits items

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
(male)

ArtVandalay HB User

Thanks, nice to know it can be done. Time to do a bit more investigating on fruit and veg.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I love to eat chicken and beef, but I also get protein from many other sources. I love to snack on nuts or fruit and nut snack bars (I find these with the protein powders and various protein bars at the grocery store - I try to get ones that are lower in sugar). I also like to buy whey protein powder and make a delicious shake. To do this, I use about one cup of skim milk, a scoop of vanilla or strawberry powder, plus a cup of frozen mixed berries. Some protein powders give you even 50% of your protein for the day in only one serving! I also buy a bread that has slightly more protein, a sprouted grain bread. It's a little harder to find though since not all stores carry it!

I definitely agree that you can work on getting a good, balanced diet with little meats. Since you like fruits and veggies, that will also be a great way to save calories yet eat some filling meals. I find that my meals seem more "well rounded" and filling when I have it with a good serving of salad (just watch what you add to the salad) or snack on fruits and other veggies. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
(male)

smartandy HB User

True, even I feel one can get proper nutrition from balanced nutritious diet even though it doesn't contain meat or any non-vegetarian stuff. Vegetarian diet is considered as very healthy and enriching.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
(female)

seavegetables HB User

Nuts, beans, greek yogurt, dairy, eggs, some grains and veggies all contain protein.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

whitemore55 HB User

I agree with your opinion. If we can fill up our protein demand from another sources then it is not important to eat meat. The net talk is feeling the demand of protein That's it.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
(female)

villania HB User

I've always been overheaviness and generally ungood in terms of diet and lifestyle. Im in my late twenties and desire to make a change. The enjoyment of eating junk like chips and pizza is being overtaken by being overheaviness, unfit and generally disconvinced with myself.Rather than go on a fad diet that i will not stick to, i desire to really sum the amount of exercise i take and attempt to preserve a good, balanced diet. I've always been a fussy eater when it comes to some things and i cannot eat fish or chicken in any form. Beef i can manage but i really dont enjoy eating it. The only real protein i regularly eat is bacon. I have no problems with any veg or fruit.

Closed Thread