It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

Katirina HB User
Craving sweets

I am not overweight and no one thinks I have a problem except husband might because of what I eat. I try to watch my calories but I have been addicted to sweets for a few years now and can't go a day without some type of candy. I eat about two candy bars a day or more. I would really like to eat better but not sure where to start. Any ideas for me? I know I shouldn't purchase the candy in the first place but if not that I will find something else in the house to eat. Thanks for reading. I am not young and don't want to end up overweight.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

VA_girl HB User
Re: Craving sweets

I have a similar problem craving sweets, but I had to give them up b/c I just wasn't feeling or sleeping well. Do you give up some main meals to save calories for sweets? If so, you're just feeding a bad cycle. I discovered stevia and would buy some things plain, like plain yogurt and sweeten it with the stevia, very sweet, all natural, no calories. You just have to find some healthy substitutes, and give up the white sugar cold turkey! I never thought I could, but I'm on week two and it's going great.
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

Katirina HB User

That is a good idea especially since my husband already uses Stevia. I realized that I do need to stop buying the candy and we only go to the store every couple of weeks to a larger town as we live in a small town. You go girl! Way to go on giving them up cold turkey. Thanks for answering me as that was encouragement.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
(female)

hollns HB User

Mango Mango and More Mango! I used to be a bit of a candy fiend too and for me it was a massive mindset thing to realise that I didn't really need it. I never would have selected fruit instead of chocolate but once you get into the mindset of eating fruit, you completely grow to love it and wonder why you never used to eat more of it. Especially a good sweet Mango, Strawberries, Pineapple or lovely ripe kiwi's - yum.
Good luck with getting off the candy wagon!
x

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I used to eat two choc bars a day and cakes/biscuits. I soon saw the light when I developed Candida in my mouth and possibly in my intestines. The only way to rid myself of that was no sugar. It wasnt so difficult when faced with Candida as it made me feel so bad.I bought XYLITOL (look it up) and made my own cookies/cakes. In place of the choc bars I bought Oatmeal Biscuits and spread Sugarless Jam on them, you'd be suprised how nice sugarless jam is. I also swithched to dried fruit and nuts and nibble on Dried Figs and Prunes. Six months on and I dont think about Chocolate/Sweets anymore. Give it a try, your'll feel so much better for it. Solofelix.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
(male)

morrojack HB User

I don't know if I'm in the right area, but here goes my question. I'm 62, 25 lbs overweight with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I try to eat well but at my age I sometimes don't care. I will have 2 eggs and 2 slices of ww toast with a cup of coffee in am plus my meds. every other day I have a bowl of oatmeal the 5 min kind with brown sugar and raisins. lunch is usually slices of cheese and a big hand full of almonds (boy do I love almonds). for dinner at about 4-5 pm I may have a salad or a tuna sandwich, or maybe a salad and a turkey patty or a veggie patty. then about 2 hours later is when i get a craving for something rich and sweet. I usually will grab another big handful of nuts and whatever is at hand. I wish I knew what to do about this. I live alone and most of the time I am bored. I live near the beach but i don't want to walk down to it. I like riding my bike. gotta go now getting sleepy

Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katirina View Post
I am not overweight and no one thinks I have a problem except husband might because of what I eat.
Hurray for your husband! And good for you for listening to his concerns.

Quote:
I try to watch my calories but I have been addicted to sweets for a few years now and can't go a day without some type of candy.
What caused you to become addicted to sweets a few years ago? If you could remember, it might be helpful to get to the root cause of the problem.

Quote:
I eat about two candy bars a day or more. I would really like to eat better but not sure where to start.
I read somewhere that a brain-imaging study showed that sweets were found to light up the same area of the brain as (addictive) drugs. That might be the reason why some people get addicted to sweets. Another thought is that it might have something to do with blood sugar. Perhaps you crave candy when your blood sugar is low. Have you ever had a blood-glucose test?

There are some stores, like Walgreens, that offer free glucose testing. It would be interesting to see your test results if you got tested at your time of craving candy. Then, at another time, get tested after eating candy. Save the results and compare the two. It's just a thought.

Another way to check your blood sugar is after overnight fasting. That should be done as part of a yearly physical.

Closed Thread