It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

Drishti HB User
Underweight

Dear all,

I am an underweight ( 39 kg ) women in my early 20s. My height is 159 cms.

I have been underweight forever now. I have tried lots of yoga, a planned diet and even grandma's remedies for long, but with no results. My weight has always been dwindling within 39 kg -41 kg, since I was 17 yrs old. Even before that, my weight would not have crossed more than 42 kgs (though I didn't use to measure my weight often during that time, but I can say that looking at my photographs from that time).
I haven't faced any problems due to my being underweight until now when I am experiencing backpain and a bit of dizziness all day. The pain is such that I am not able to sit straight for very long.

Moreover, when I lie down to relax/sleep, I can feel what is causing more problem. I feel pain in the upper ribs on my dorsal side. I feel a bit of pain at the neck region on the dorsal side again and feel uncomfortable whenever I try to lie down by my side without a pillow below my head. I don't have the habit of using a pillow since long, but now it becomes necessary else the neck region hurts a bit everytime I lie down.

I feel pangs of weakness some 2-3 times a day.

I would be grateful if some one could help me out in this situation.

Last edited by Drishti; 06-04-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Underweight

Do you feel hungry at mealtime? Would you say that you have a healthy appetite? Do you eat 3 meals per day? What do you eat? Do you like most foods? What foods do you have available to you? A wide choice? Can you tolerate grain in your diet?

Do you drink plenty of water? Drinking water won't help with your weight but is very important for health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

Drishti HB User

Dear John,

Yes I feel hungry at meal time. I would not say I have a healthy appetite, rather I feel its normal.

Generally, I include the following foods in my meal:

1. Breakfast: Vegetable(Tomato cucumber) sandwich, A roll (Fried vegetables), Besan(gram flour) pancakes, boiled black gram or green beans, poha(with vegetables), tea or sometimes just tea and biscuits

2. Lunch: Chapati (2-3 in number, made of wheat/barley or gram flour), pulses(different variety on different days), cooked vegetables (ranging from cabbage, lady's finger, brinjal, potato{boiled and fried}, paneer, capsicum, beans, gourd {most of the times}, indian apple gourd), salad (cucumber, onion, tomato, capsicum, radish, carrot)

3. Snacks in the evening (In fact sometimes it turns out to be more than snacks, just like all other meals): Wheat noodles, bhelpoori(mixture of raw vegetables with puffed rice and other spices, poha, tea

4. Dinner: It is generally same as lunch, sometimes also includes steamed or fried rice with pulses.

I like almost all types of food, even non veg occasionally. I eat boiled eggs /omellete during winter season and sometimes(once/twice a month) i eat fried chicken as well. I take lots of raw vegetables in my salad. In fact in between meals whenever i experience hunger pangs, i eat a cucumber.

Grain tolerance: I am not sure about this.

I felt sometime back that my body's inability to gain weight might result from gluten intolerance, but i haven't undergone any tests for that yet.

I didn't use to drink more than 3-4 glass of water sometime back, but it has been an year since i have started drinking 8-10 glass of water each day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drishti For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Hi Drishti,

If you're not sure about grain, why don't you try eliminating all wheat from your diet. You could have one serving of whole grain barley and one serving of whole grain rice per day. Also, you could have a potato. And perhaps you could have bread made from sprouts.

It seems you don't eat animal protein on a regular basis. That being the case, I think you should take a small B12 supplement every day. I do that myself.

Have you ever figured out how many calories you're getting per day?

Do you get enough fat in your diet?

Closed Thread