It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

Yavanna HB User
Is this a healthy and nutritious diet?

M-F
7am - Protein powder (whey and pea), ice, 6oz 1% milk, 1/2 cup of blueberries, strawberries or raspberries all blended together.

10am - Low fat string cheese

1pm - Grilled fish or chicken, green beans and tomato or spring mix salad with a small handful of walnuts, a few crumbles of blue cheese and raspberry vinaigrette dressing (30 calories) with one of three grains - whole wheat couscous, whole wheat with flax seed pasta or basmati whole grain brown rice.

4pm - Banana or grapes and a plain greek yogurt

7pm - The same choices as lunch.

On weekends we have brunch, hubby cooks on Saturday and I cook every Sunday. It could be anything from pancakes to omelets.

We eat out for dinner every Saturday and Sunday evening and may have alcohol with the meals. We like hibachi grills, sushi, Vietnamese, Italian, Tex-Mex, etc so quite a lot of variety then.

Is it healthy to eat in this manner where weekends are so much different with calorie intake? During the week it's around 1500 calories but on weekends it's probably 2500+ with so much more salt, fat, empty alcohol calories.

I must admit I look forward to weekends b/c I feel I've eaten what I consider healthy all week and the weekends are the reward.

Any tips or suggestions? Thanks for reading.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Is this a healthy and nutritious diet?

Certainly sounds reasonable to me. Even the weekend/weekday variation. The only possible issue I can see is that the weekend meals might upset the digestion.

You might want to get more variety in your weekday meals, though, just to keep from getting too bored with the meal plan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Is this a healthy and nutritious diet?

Your question: "Is this a healthy and nutritious diet?"

Overall, it looks like the Standard American Diet (SAD). Here's why I think this way: It is very much lacking in healthy vegetables. Your diet appears to have a token amount of not-so-healthy vegetables, with not much variety to speak of.

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the worst and ten the best, I would give it a six. That means there's a lot of room for improvement.

Also, it would help to know the serving sizes.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-11-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: delete a word

Closed Thread