It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
(male)

Fred1930 HB User
Confused regarding foods being either Alkaline or Acidic

I am equally confused regarding foods being either Alkaline or Acidic. Most of the information I come across on the internet only confuses me more. The same goes for vegetables as well as fruit. Can't seem to find a creditable source. So I tried alkaline water which turned out to be equally confusing with nearly all web sites trying to sell you something. So since I have only drank reverse osmosis water for the past 10 years I decided to make my own by buying aluminum free baking soda at a health store and adding it to my own bottled water. I'm still trying to find test strips to measure a urine sample. Again prices are all over the place.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Confused regarding foods being either Alkaline or Acidic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1930 View Post
I am equally confused regarding foods being either Alkaline or Acidic. Most of the information I come across on the internet only confuses me more.
There are several books on this subject. One is "The pH Miracle". A book may do a better job of explaining than what you're getting on the internet.

Quote:
The same goes for vegetables as well as fruit. Can't seem to find a creditable source. So I tried alkaline water which turned out to be equally confusing with nearly all web sites trying to sell you something.
As far as water goes, there's usually no need to buy anything. The pH of ordinary tap water should be okay. I called my water company and was told that my tap water has a pH of 7.6 (that's with chlorine but no flouride). And I usually put my tap water in a bottle and let the chlorine evaporate. If you want to make it more alkaline, just squeeze some fresh lemon juice into it.

Animal protein is what you should be careful not to eat to much of.

Four of the best foods, in my opinion, are lemons, limes, grapefruits and raw tomatoes. If you think you are too acid, you can get back in balance with these. If you get a book you'll find lists of foods.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-12-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Changes about fruits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Confused regarding foods being either Alkaline or Acidic

Correction:

I deleted some of what I said about fruit in the previous post because it wasn't totally accurate. The problem is that it's difficult to generalize about fruit; I shouldn't have said that fruit is slightly acid. It's the sugar content of fruit that makes it more or less acid and the sugar content varies.

Take oranges, for example: In the lab, the state of FL grades oranges into 18 separate levels of sweetness. Grade #1 is non-sweet/bitter, #9 is average and #18 is super sweet (like candy). That being the case, how can one generalize about fruit?

Bananas vary in sweetness depending on the degree of ripeness. Grapes, apples and other fruits can be sweet or tart.

Then, to make things more complicated, we have lemons, limes, and grapefruits that are chemically acid but are metabolized in the body in such a way as to have an alkalizing effect.

Likewise we think of tomatoes as being acid but they have an alkalizing effect when metabolized in the body. That's if they are eaten raw; cooked tomatoes are mildly acid-forming. It brings up the issue of cooked vegetables vs. raw. There's a lot to know about this subject and that's why I recommend getting a book that will explain everything in detail.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-12-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: word change

Closed Thread