It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

ash032808 HB User
Glucose Intolerant-High Cholesterol - need help

I found out today from the doctor that I am Glucose Intolerant and am suffering from high Cholesterol.

My diet took a steep drive down from taking a medication called Mirtazapine before bed. It made me extremely hungry and I formed a bad habit of eating large quantities before bed. I am now in the process of being tapered off by my doctor and am looking for a list of foods and diet that is for high cholesterol and glucose intolerance.

I am really confused as to what to eat and what not to eat. Everything that has no cholesterol has large amounts of carbs some mainly sugar, and everything that has no sugar tends to have high cholesterol. Can anyone please guide me in the right direction?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Glucose Intolerant-High Cholesterol - need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash032808 View Post
I found out today from the doctor that I am Glucose Intolerant and am suffering from high Cholesterol.
When you say "Glucose Intolerant", I take it that you don't yet have type 2 diabetes but may be headed in that direction. I will assume that because I'm not that familliar with all the different classifications.

Quote:
It made me extremely hungry and I formed a bad habit of eating large quantities before bed. I am now in the process of being tapered off by my doctor and am looking for a list of foods and diet that is for high cholesterol and glucose intolerance.
You're being tapered off the medication? If that's the case, then that should be a big help. It's difficult to resist eating when you're "extremely hungry".

Quote:
Everything that has no cholesterol has large amounts of carbs some mainly sugar, and everything that has no sugar tends to have high cholesterol.
There's a whole big class of food that has no cholesterol and is generally low in carbs: Non-starchy vegetables! (Provided by: ) That includes almost everything in your grocers produce department, except starchy items like white potatoes and corn.

I recommend you make a big salad the focus of your meal (lunch, dinner or both). Dark leafy greens, avocado, beans, cucumber, celery, tomatoes etc.. Most any vegetable can be included. Although, I think the ones I mentioned are especially good. (Tomatoes are known to help control blood sugar.) Then you need a healthy dressing: Olive oil and fresh lemon juice from lemons that you squeeze yourself.

Then there's fruit: 3 to 4 servings per day of (non-sweet) fruit. Contrary to popular opinion, the sweetest is not the best. For example, you might choose grapefruit over oranges. Or, if you do choose oranges, you might choose a common orange over a sweet navel orange.

Grain: Perhaps 3 to 4 servings daily of 100% whole grain should do it. For example, for breakfast you could have one serving of steel cut oats. It's generally okay because it will get absorbed into your system slowly. Conversely, you should avoid any baked goods made with flour, as these products will tend to be absorbed faster and may spike your blood sugar. Some supermarkets sell bread made from sprouts, often found in their freezer showcase as there are no preservatives. Then, likewise, you keep it in your freezer at home. One slice is a serving.

Exercise: Moderate exercise will go a long way to help control blood sugar.

Meditation and/or relaxation: This will help to control cholesterol. If you have stress in your life, your cholesterol will generally be higher.

Don't worry, be happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
beatbox (07-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

ash032808 HB User

thanks for the tips, this was just what I was looking for. The glucose intolerant means I still have the ability to change the direction and lower my risk of type 2 diabetes. Are strawberries ok to eat? I saw something on the net that they might also be an option for sweet things.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash032808 View Post
Are strawberries ok to eat?
Yes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries etc.. Berries are a very good choice. They are low in carbs, low in calories and low on the glycemic index.

Just be sure to avoid fruit juice and dried fruit because the sugar is concentrated.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
(male)

beatbox HB User

Hello ash. I've been a vegetarian for two years and have similar issues except when I eat straight raw veggies. I'd like to suggest a few documentaries, one is called RAW and the other BREAKTHROUGH. In the latter, 6 people with diabetes were basically fully healed in 30 days. It's leading me to raw veganism if I can stay the course. Best wishes to you, the suggestions for raw big salads were great and have always helped to ground me when i suffered. If you like spicy or asian, I can send you some recipes for amazing almond butter dressings i have all but perfected.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are having some troubles with your glucose and cholesterol. The good news is that they are both reversible if caught in time. I was told that I was prediabetic a few years ago due to glucose intolerant issues. My bad cholesterol was just a little on the high end, so I apologize that I don't know much about improving cholesterol other than lowering your fat intake. I try to avoid egg yolks, eat nuts like walnuts and almonds for good fats, and choose extra virgin olive oil (or another 'better' oil) as an alternative for vegetable oil if I need to cook with it.

JohnR41 has given a lot of good information. My endocrinologist actually recommended that I mimic eating meal plans that were similar to the South Beach Diet. Although, I didn't need to follow it exactly, she said that there were some good recommendations on keeping sugars, bad carbs, and fatty dairy low (dairy can also contain sugars) and upping veggies and good proteins. Keep in mind, that proteins wouldn't be meals full of red meat, but would include snacks with nuts, meals with greek yogurt - without the fruit already added (less sugar), eggs without the yolks, etc. You can have meat, just in moderation and try to stick with white meat as often as possible (chicken, fish, turkey, etc).

For breakfast, I like steel cut oatmeal...and to sweeten it up, I put in some frozen fruit (my favorite is blueberries). No added sugar and the heat of the oatmeal softens the fruit and makes its own syrup. Raspberries are an excellent berry because they provide a good source of fiber. I love watermelon, but I have to stay away from it because it has way too much sugar. Only as a treat, and as John mentioned...never drink it as juice. I don't drink anything but water, unsweetened tea, or 1% milk.

You could also check out some general information on the glycemic index. It is how quickly a certain food raises your blood sugar after eating it. Low GI foods have lower rises in sugar and generally are ones that you might want to look for. You don't need to live by this, but it helped me find new foods, keep eating the ones that I like, and view the ones that rated highly as a snack or complete no-no's. The higher GI foods tend to be starchy, sugary foods that glucose intolerant peeps should generally steer away from.

Salads are great, but the dressings are something to be careful with. A lot of them are high in fat, sugar, or both. Sometimes an olive oil and vinegar dressing is a safe bet (you could add a squeeze of citrus or other mashed fruit...like strawberry and/or a splash of wine even). You can try subbing sweet potatoes, carrots, or parsnips for regular french fries (white potatoes quickly turn to sugar). If you get a craving for something that is not good for your condition...it's just trying to substitue it with a healthier solution (I am trying to live by this myself).

I was able to get my numbers back in the normal range with a good diet and regular exercise. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
(female)

Panache HB User
Re: Glucose Intolerant-5-6 hour test most

accurate & the ONLY one suggested in any good teaching hospital. Most glucose intolerance tests average only 4.0 hours - not long enough. That is the only one that most doctors offices offer through their hospital affiliations.

I have a relative who, after being tested with the lower time glucose testing, had a friend suggest she go to a teaching hospital i.e., Massachusetts General, University of Southern Florida - and sure enough a 6 hour glucose test was done - long day - but she came away with a medication for glucose intolerance which took away almost all her desire/addiction for sweets after 40+ years. Sure it's a 'medication,' but a necessary one...she feels great now. Diabetes is in her family, although, not immediate family, so that, too will no longer be a threat.

I've no idea why all glucose intolerance tests are not the same, but they are not & so far only teaching hospitals encourage/offer it

Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I too suffer/suffered glucose intolerance very severly. my doctor told me I was headed for type two. my a1c was headed upwards.

in fact my insulin resistance is/was causing so many problems these problems motivated me to do something about it considering I wasnt sleeping well at night suffered severe nervousness and irritability extreme fatigue and extreme hunger all the time for junk food particularly. Insulin resistance will make you crave high gi foods because your glucose setpoint is set higher (to somewhat compensate for the resistance it can by getting the blood glucose artificially high)

I tried all kinds of diets including low fat high quality carb diets. I spent years trying to find a diet that would address the insulin resistance. the only thing that seems to be working (been following this plan over a year now) is a low carb diet (not atkins) that I did for a few months then went to low gi/low carb diet. I also upped my whole dairy intake, and coconut oil intake. I also started to take the past 3 months gtf and sugarreg supplements.

it is the only diet that stopped the I have to eat a half of gallon ice cream in two days or whole bag of chips or half of a chocolate cake thing to feel satisfied or fully satiated. by the way high fats foods do not raise your cholesterol high fat foods lower the gi of your carbs and give you valuable fat soluable vita/min that help insulin resistance. insulin resistance is causing a skewed cholesterol problem. cholesterol is your first line of defense, immune response as it were. it protects your cells from glycation and oxidation.

you have to have adequate vita a, d, calcium, vita e and you need saturated fats to absorb them you also need saturated fats to alleviate the burden off fat cells of having to convert all that sugar to fat and having to store cholesterol to buffer the fat in the fat cell. you need to be in the sun too without sunscreen to make adequate vita d and dietary sources are high fat as vita d is stored in fat. if you do sunbath do not use soap to shower when you do so the same day. it takes a while for the body to absorb the vita d.

when I say saturated fats I do not mean polyunsaturated fats that have been converted to saturated fats by heating them at high temperatures. these are not true sat fats they are plastic fats basically. you know margerins and crisco and do not ever eat those store shelves cooking oils not unless you like eating chemically laden (to hide the smell and overcome the bad flavor) rotten rancid poison called healthy by the fda/medical community

fat cells jobs include more than just storing extra caloires because you overate, but rather they store cholesterol when dietary sources are inadequate, and in order to store cholesterol, the fat cells require fat to buffer it, in a one to one ratio. also fat cells also store calcium when these are low due to dietary defieicy.

if want the full details it is lengthy read the article the obesity epidemic is metabolic syndrome caused by nutrient deficency? by stephanie seneff, it is free to read. I have been following her suggestions now for over a year and I am glad I have been. she has articles about cholesterol. and statins too.

you know those I have to eat a ton of high gi foods to feel sataited problem which I had been fighting to stop like for years, like 25, gone. now when I eat ice cream occassionally, I can eat a portion and I am fully satiated. this has been something I have never been able to do my response to exercise which was low at best has improved. something I thought I would never see.

my a1c is coming down, my energy levels are going up, my fog is lifting in my brain, not 100 percent mind you but much improved, I have not lost weight but i figure it will come in time because if your insulin resistant your leptin resistant to as the same mechnisms for insulin sensitivity is the same for leptin. in time leptin should lower my appetite and in time weight loss may just follow. I have no reason to think otherwise.

dreamer

Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

faydalari HB User

editttttttttttttttttt

Last edited by faydalari; 03-01-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Closed Thread