It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
(male)

beatbox HB User
Talking Medical Puzzle - Vegetarian Celiac, Lactose Intolerant or IBS?

Hello all and thanks in advance for reading. I've been lurking here for some time and have benefitted from your advice, so thanks again.

I am a male, 43 years old, 205 pounds, 5'11. After struggling with all sorts of issues in managing weight and dealing with chronic stomache discomforts, I've switched to vegetarianism for issues including factory farming, hormones, animal cruelty, and just to aid in my digestion. It has been quite awesome. I have not lost any weight but now I have noticed some of the old symptoms and need some advice as my doctor doesnt really know what's up with me.

I've been eating poorly lately due to lack of sleep, overwork and just being lazy. I go between a mostly raw diet and pizza with ice cream and chocolate. Due to the latter binges this week combined with a bottle of wine per day, I am now in a state of real discomfort.

My symptoms during a flare up include: real stomache discomfort, inability to sleep, soft stools 3 times a day, restlessness and rigth after the meal, I feel an uncontrollable desire to sleep, like i had ate 2 racks of ribs.

This week my diet has been mainly brie, pita chips in olie oil with sea salt and fresh guac. and salsa, homeade broc and cheese soup, free range eggs, breads, all sorts of cheese trays and gulp, late at night, pizza, chocolate and ice cream.

I can have a compoletely empty stomach in the morning and drink a glass of juice and feel bloated all day, its so weird. And I drink one coffee a day, double double.

So from what I have been reading, I believe that I may be a Celiac like my sister and also have Dairy Issues. Anyone else have the same issues? Any other vegetarians out there? I am planning to try raw veganism because I have seen so many great documentaries about it and would love to be free of tummy trouble forever.

Any opinions would be well received.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Medical Puzzle - Vegetarian Celiac, Lactose Intolerant or IBS?

beatbox,

Certain foods can cause the body to become overacidified and you mentioned some of them: Pizza, ice cream, chocolate and wine.

Quote:
My symptoms during a flare up include: real stomache discomfort, inability to sleep, soft stools 3 times a day, restlessness and rigth after the meal, I feel an uncontrollable desire to sleep, like i had ate 2 racks of ribs.
My first thought is that your flare ups could be the beginning of an ulser. It's just a possibility. As far as feeling sleepy after a meal, it could be a sign that you're producing too much insulin caused by the type of foods or from overeating.

Quote:
So from what I have been reading, I believe that I may be a Celiac like my sister and also have Dairy Issues. Anyone else have the same issues? Any other vegetarians out there? I am planning to try raw veganism because I have seen so many great documentaries about it and would love to be free of tummy trouble forever.
You might do well to eliminate all wheat products and all dairy. In addition to the possible issue of lactose intolerance, dairy products may contribute to you becoming overacidified. And you mentioned coffee which is another high acid food. You can find books that will tell you how to maintain a good pH balance. One such book is, "The pH Miracle".

Except for a short interuption, I have been eating a vegan diet for about 5 years. Just lately I've gotten to the point where I'm eating raw broccoli. (Sometimes I wonder if it's safe to do, because of possible parasites, but that's another story.)

Anyway, I would go for the "raw veganism" if I were you. I have no doubt you will feel better. I've had nothing but good yearly check ups from my doctor (including blood work). I think "raw veganism" is probably the closest thing you will find to being a "fountain of youth".

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-18-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: delete error

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
beatbox (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
(male)

mikeyc86 HB Usermikeyc86 HB User
Re: Medical Puzzle - Vegetarian Celiac, Lactose Intolerant or IBS?

i'd suggest more of a junk food overload with all that that entails, and the beginnings of type 2 diabetes, with possibly an ulcer forming and a sliding or rolling hiatal hernia.

It is more likely that you have none of these, and just have eaten too much crap for years.

i disagree with the vegans ideals but in this case, he's probably right. good luck

Closed Thread