It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
(male)

panic61513 HB User
Question Shakes help?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and have an, what I find to be an important question. First some background knowledge. I am 16 years old and weigh 138 lbs at 5'11. First of all, is this too skinny? Because if it's not, then my next question is basically pointless. Anyway, I play Soccer and do cross country daily, as well as working out with weights almost every day, but I've only noticed slight changes in looks, but not when it comes to my weight. I was wondering, would protein shakes and things of that sort speed up my muscle gain? Or improve my weight in any way?

thanks for the help!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Shakes help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panic61513 View Post
I am 16 years old and weigh 138 lbs at 5'11. .... is this too skinny?
No. I would say you're at your ideal weight. According to the BMI calculator, your BMI is 19.2. Less than 18.5 is underweight. If you weighed 133, your BMI would be 18.5. That means you shouldn't go below 133. Assuming you are still growing, that will change as you grow taller.

Quote:
Anyway, I play Soccer and do cross country daily, as well as working out with weights almost every day, but I've only noticed slight changes in looks, but not when it comes to my weight. I was wondering, would protein shakes and things of that sort speed up my muscle gain? Or improve my weight in any way?
A healthy diet calls for a certain balance between protein, carbohydrate and fat. Different diets call for different percentages. Weightloss and body building diets usually call for a somewhat higher percentage of protein. Although, different doctors might argue for different percentages.

Your AVERAGE healthy diet would call for 30% of caloric intake from protein, 20% from healthy fat, and 50% from carbohydrates.

The main thing to remember: When you raise one, something else has to go down. For example, if you raise your protein to 50% of caloric intake, you can't have the other two add up to 70%.

You might try 40% of caloric intake from protein, 15% healthy fat, and 45% carbs.

The biggest problem for most people is: When they raise their protein, they lose their apetite for healthy fresh fruits and non-starchy vegetables. And a good athlete needs these healthy foods.

I don't recommend protein shakes. In my opinion, a protein shake is junk-food, and the same goes for energy bars. Read the ingredients label. If you see sugar, corn syrup, maltodextrin etc......it's junk. And your goal is to be healthy.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-13-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: general

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
panic61513 (08-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
(male)

panic61513 HB User
Re: Shakes help?

Hey thanks a lot John! Helped a bunch!

Closed Thread