It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
(male)

tom2011 HB User
Diet Problem?

Hi there,

I really need some advice with a problem that I have been battling for over a year now. I previously underweight for my height after I lost a lot of weight due to stress suffered while sitting my examinations. I have thankfully got up to a reasonably healthy weight of about 154lbs. I am a 19 year old male, 6"2.

Anyway, all of my bloods are perfect except my iron would still be slightly low with hameoglobin of 12.7.

The problem I am having is that I am constantly tired, especially when I do exercise when I get really worse. I always attributed this to slight anemia but at this level of hameoglobin, shouldent that be high enough, it seems to be in the healthy range for a man!

I also though that it might be Coeliacs Disease and that I might not be absorbing my food. I often have problems with my stomach and thought it was this. However, following colonoscopy etc. I was cleared with no problems at all!

I am very particular when it comes to food, I eat only all healthy foods. Macros usually are:

Carbs: 270-300
Fat: 65g or so
Protein: 100g ++

Always about 2500 calories. I ensure to eat foods high in iron such as red meat every second day to boost my iron levels, brocolli, almonds, sweet potatoes etc. The veg is great in particular as it is full of Vit C to help me absorb. I really cant see how it would be my diet, I even stay away from all chocolate, full fat products etc. I still ensure to eat all the healthy fats like Peanut Butter, almonds etc. Is this wrong?

So, I am still tired and it can make me depressed as I can no longer partake in sports etc.

So do you think mayeb its my diet? Maybe I need to gain more weight or something, or maybe even I need to boost iron even far higher than average man needs? I would really appreciate any advice that you could possibly offer me. I can't go on like this.

Thanks you so much,
Tom

The following user gives a hug of support to tom2011:
slenderella (09-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Diet Problem?

Hi, Tom,
I'm no dietitian but your diet looks good to me. If you want to raise your iron a tiny bit why not take a daily multi vitamin with iron for a few months and see if you notice a difference?
My gut feeling is that your depression is what is making you feel so tired. Since you are a young and healthy man, my friendly advise is to begin some small way of exercise, even if it's just getting outside and walking around the corner, at first.
I think that depression and anxiety can definitely make a person weak, and that you need to build up your endurance in small ways that can make a huge difference in the days and months to come. If in a few months you still find yourself feeling the same way, I would take a trip back to the doctor and talk to them about how you are feeling emotionally. You'd be surprised at how the body reacts to a person's emotions. I have struggled with anxiety for decades, and I know it's true for me.

best wishes, Sue

Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

tom2011 HB User

Hi Sue,

Thanks ever so much for the reply.

In regard to exercise, I actually walk quite a bit still. I walk every day for 40 mins at a good pace which is quite good exercise. I always feel tired enough after it and when I start to increase pace but I always get my walks in! Still, there is no way I could run for example and I have had to give up weight training as I just couldent handle it- the more sets I did the more worn out, demotivated i became.

Emotionally I feel great, college is going well and everything, even got offered a full time job after college!

It must be an iron problem because it has all the symtoms of it. I was talking Iron Pill for a while to get it up but I thought it is in a healthy range now. 12.7 would be considered quite a healthy range! Is it quite possible that I would need more iron than average person, is that plausable??

I have been encouraged to try and gain more weight by parents who feel that would sort out my problems. The thing about it is I want to do it the right way - increase my muscle mass which involves weight training which I can to anymore without collapsing! Could I still be reocvering from having lost weight before? I was below 140lbs before? My aim is to try and get tiredness sorted and then go to gym and gain weight in the way I want to do it! Does that sound reasonable enough?

Any other suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I like how you're thinking. See if you can get the tiredness under control and then work out to regain muscle mass and endurance.
All I can say about iron is that right before I needed a hysterectomy my iron was about a 7. For me, that was low enough so that I was fainting and needed a transfusion. For other women I have heard they can be a lower number and be functioning quite well, so it proves to me that everyone's individual. Just be careful, though, since too much iron in the blood is not heathy either.

Sue

Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
(male)

tom2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
I like how you're thinking. See if you can get the tiredness under control and then work out to regain muscle mass and endurance.
All I can say about iron is that right before I needed a hysterectomy my iron was about a 7. For me, that was low enough so that I was fainting and needed a transfusion. For other women I have heard they can be a lower number and be functioning quite well, so it proves to me that everyone's individual. Just be careful, though, since too much iron in the blood is not heathy either.

Sue
Thanks again. Has anyone heard of iron of 12.7 being low and causing Anemia for a man? I understand that 13.5-17 is normal range for man, could being even just this below cause quite bad tiredness?

Closed Thread