It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

caisaco HB User
Is my poor diet making my face look aged?

I'm just 18, I am very pale naturally and have purple and blue circles under my eyes I have to conceal daily with expensive concealer.
I know those are from being very pale and being allergic to everything, I get enough sleep too.

But I have not been eating healthy for months, no fruits and veggies (I am very allergic to all raw fruit and vegetables) I just got my blood drawn to get food tested (I get allergy shots weekly but they haven't done anything about the food allergies) Thankfully Monday I will get results and they'll tell me if I need to go on supplements for fruit and vegetables or whatever.

But I was wondering if a poor diet can make a person look aged? I have noticed light wrinkles under my eyes if I smile, they're there more than ever, and I have bags kind of, I don't like how I've been looking for months now..
I wasn't sure if fruits and vegetables changed your facial appearance for the worst if you don't eat them, all I can eat are canned fruits (Which is know is unhealthy) and some cooked veggies.

I am also a vegetarian, but my blood tests were normal and good for iron and protein and all that..

Do you think supplements could make me look normal again? :/

Last edited by caisaco; 09-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Is my poor diet making my face look aged?

[QUOTE=caisaco;4848208]

Quote:
(I am very allergic to all raw fruit and vegetables)
Cooked fruit and vegetables would be the next best thing. You don't need a lot of fruit to be healthy, so that shouldn't be a big worry. And I think cooked vegetables are a much better choice over supplements.

Quote:
But I was wondering if a poor diet can make a person look aged?
Yes, it's possible; it depends on the person (everyone is different) and what's lacking in the diet. Are you underweight?

Quote:
I am also a vegetarian, but my blood tests were normal and good for iron and protein and all that..
If you don't eat any animal protein you could be lacking vitamin B-12. If you're naturally pale, it's likely you don't get much sun so you may need to take vitamin D3.

Quote:
Do you think supplements could make me look normal again?
Today is monday, do you have the results of your test? Does it show you are lacking any vitamins? If you have a severe deficiency, supplements may help.

I'm a vegan so I take a small amount of B-12. Also, my body is not good at converting sunlight to vitamin D, so I take a normal dose of a D3 supplement. That's all I take as I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from natural whole foods.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-27-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: general / spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, dark marks under the eyes could be allergic shiners. Sinus congestion can actually cause the eyes to appear bruised.

Definitely, when you get your allergy results, go to a nutritionist! If you can eat cooked veggies, do that. If they are lightly steamed, sauteed or microwaved, little nutrition is lost. In fact, the dark leafy greens can get MORE nutritious when cooked!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

caisaco HB User

[QUOTE=JohnR41;4849736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caisaco View Post

Cooked fruit and vegetables would be the next best thing. You don't need a lot of fruit to be healthy, so that shouldn't be a big worry. And I think cooked vegetables are a much better choice over supplements.

Yes, it's possible; it depends on the person (everyone is different) and what's lacking in the diet. Are you underweight?

If you don't eat any animal protein you could be lacking vitamin B-12. If you're naturally pale, it's likely you don't get much sun so you may need to take vitamin D3.

Today is monday, do you have the results of your test? Does it show you are lacking any vitamins? If you have a severe dificiency, supplements may help.

I'm a vegan so I take a small amount of B-12. Also, my body is not good at converting sunlight to vitamin D, so I take a normal dose of a D3 supplement. That's all I take as I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from natural whole foods.
I live in Washington so we get sun about two months out of the year, and I don't even like the sun because I have to put on sunscreen and that makes me smell and feel dirty, so I just don't really go out for long periods of time, I get red in 5 mins

I wouldn't say I am very underweight, just skinny compared to the rest of the world who's chunky haha. I'm 5'6 and 118 lbs. My face is full, not fat but I don't look gaunt, always has been full and the rest of me is small.

I haven't gotten a call yet..
This lady at GNC told me that there's animal parts in D3 in this VEGETARIAN whole foods supplement, is she wrong about that? I know it can come from plants or something right? I took B-12 before, they were tiny pink pills I think.. I take Alive! Whole food vitamins with fruits and veggies for Women, one pill a day, I started taking those until or if I get a recommendation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
You know, dark marks under the eyes could be allergic shiners. Sinus congestion can actually cause the eyes to appear bruised.

Definitely, when you get your allergy results, go to a nutritionist! If you can eat cooked veggies, do that. If they are lightly steamed, sauteed or microwaved, little nutrition is lost. In fact, the dark leafy greens can get MORE nutritious when cooked!
I think they are just from allergies, I get a lot of sleep every night. This little boy came in for allergy shots, and I heard his mother complaining about how dark his circles had become from them she thinks, poor boy looked like a vampire/raccoon! Mine aren't that bad though, but I definitely wouldn't leave the house without concealer, and a lot of it.

Cooking food is such a hassle for me, especially being vegetarian you need to cook a lot of veggies, I just don't know how to do it right, my mom can help me cook, what form of cooking makes them lose most nutrients, boiling? I wanted to make a vegetable soup with carrots peas and potatoes with this vegetarian broth called No Chicken Broth, but I'm not sure how to cook the veggies

EDIT: Allergist called me, they said I was only allergic to like three things of fruit and one vegetable, I am very angry because I am actually allergic to everything badly besides apples is a little less.
All they said was they could refer me to a dietitian, so they did and I'm getting the referral Friday when I get my allergy shot

Last edited by caisaco; 09-26-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The least healthy ways of cooking veggies are probably deep frying in batter, or boiling then throwing away the water. If you boil and keep the water, you keep the vitamins.

If you want to make a soup, though, you can generally just cut the veggies up in small pieces, throw them in the broth, and simmer. Put the root veggies in first, wait until they get tender, then add anything else you want, like leaves or tomatoes or celery.

If you want to get fancy, you can saute or braise or bake your veggies before putting them in a soup, but ultimately, soup is easy cooking. You just take your food, put it in a pot of water, and cook until everything is edible

Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

caisaco HB User

Thanks for the help (:

I'm sure if I go to a good dietitian I'm getting referred to they'll help me with meals as well? Or... well I don't even know what a dietitian does lol I know help get you healthy?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
... well I don't even know what a dietitian does lol I know help get you healthy?
That's a good question and you are about to find out, if you decide to go.
Let us know how it turns out.

I think a dietitian trys to help one work around any diet problems. For example, some people are either trying to lose weight or gain weight. So a dietitian trys to provide a strategy for whatever your goal happens to be.

I was surprised to find out that most dietitians believe there is no such thing as bad food. Several years ago, I went to a free lecture sponsored by my gym. The dietitian who gave the lecture told everyone how to read nutrition labels etc.. She had various packaged foods on a table to serve as examples and some of them surprised me. One was a can of soda. I thought it would be an example of what one should not drink, but it wasn't.

After the lecture, I asked her if she thought we should stay away from any particular foods like white bread, soda or candy. And she would not say yes or no. She advised that one should read the nutrition label and stick to one serving, as long as the number of calories would fit into one's overall daily allotment.

Then years later I read a column in my daily newspaper, written by a dietition, and that outlook was confirmed. The writer said something to the effect that most (or almost all) dietitions will not tell you that there's any such thing as bad food.

I think the reasoning goes like this: If it's good for someone in some particular situation then it can't be bad. For example, let's say a person only has a few weeks to live and can only drink soda and/or eat ice cream. If it brings that person a little relief in their last days, can it be bad? So, I suppose it makes sense to a dietition because sometimes they have to work with people who are dying.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-29-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: general / word change

Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

John: The last 3 years of my grandfather's life, ice cream was probably about half of his calorie intake. And, both by getting some food into him and providing some pleasure, I believe it probably added a year to his life.

A nutritionist helps you figure out how to get the best diet for your needs. A good nutritionist will also take into account your tastes and lifestyle. She might recommend a cookbook, or particular food products.

You might also benefit from the cookbook shelf of your local library! There are cookbooks specifically for people with food allergies. And once you learn the basics of cooking, swapping out ingredients you can have for ones you can't is pretty easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jane,
I wasn't aware of that; that's good to know. If I had a lot of food allergies, I would try reading that type of cookbook first (before deciding to go to a dietition). It likely would be the same or even better than going to a dietition.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-29-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: delete quote / general / spelling

Closed Thread