It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I combine a very healthy balanced diet with "chew but not swallowed" snacks.

Yesterday I "chewed but not swallowed" creamy vanilla ice cream, low salt tortilla chips, two bags of low salt popcorn, a crunchy granola bar, and a chewy granola bar; plus I chewed and swallowed my six balanced, healthy meals; which is just about normal for each and every day.

I also do demanding physical exercise.

As a result of my very healthy diet, which avoids digesting snacks, and my exercise, I maintain very healthy blood sugar readings, very healthy blood pressure readings 24 hours per day, day after day, year after year; and I feel better near age 70 than I felt when I was 40!

I feel that, as long as I eat a very healthy, balanced, low calorie diet, combined with vigorous exercise, I can still enjoy some of my favorite snacks (as long as I do not swallow the snacks). It is so very exciting to be able to enjoy snacking and, at the same time, enjoy improving, better health.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: I combine a very healthy balanced diet with "chew but not swallowed" snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
It is so very exciting to be able to enjoy snacking and, at the same time, enjoy improving, better health.
Had my annual physical examination at Cleveland Clinic yesterday. The doc came over to me, after the exam, shook my hand and said "You are in remarkable physical condition!" Needless to say, that gave me enough encouragement to stay on diet and exercise! He said that to someone like me, who has both Atria 50% enlarged; valve disease; Insulin Resistance; previously with chronically high blood pressure; and with Permanent Atrial Fibrillation.

Back in 2003-2004 my Heart Failure and health were getting much worse and my blood pressure was soaring all day long, every day. I was getting sicker and sicker.

I started eating a very healthy, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet; and then posted about it, before I knew whether or not dieting would improve my health, back in January 2005, in the Topic: High & Low Blood Pressure in a thread titled: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?. The direct link to the thread is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229

Currently my blood pressure averages 122/72 day after day, month after month, 24 hours per day.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: I combine a very healthy balanced diet with "chew but not swallowed" snacks.

Machaon,

Congratulations on a good physical. I wonder if your doctor was surprised that such progress could be possible or surprised that someone actually was able to stick to healthy eating and exercise over a long period of time.

Quote:
I started eating a very healthy, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet; and then posted about it, before I knew whether or not dieting would improve my health, back in January 2005,....
In a previous post you included "high fiber". Does that mean your diet is/was largely vegetarian or vegan? You also mentioned that you added salt (5-30-2006). Did you go from no-salt to the daily requirement?

What you've done shows that the human body has an amazing ability to repair itself, given the tools it needs like healthy diet & exercise. Unfortunately, most people give up too soon and never find that out. Some don't even get started because they believe there's no hope/no cure.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Machaon,

Congratulations on a good physical. I wonder if your doctor was surprised that such progress could be possible or surprised that someone actually was able to stick to healthy eating and exercise over a long period of time.
I don't think that either my regular doctor or my Cardiologist are used to seeing elderly patients in such good condition, especially among their heart patients.

I just exercised to keep my muscles toned so I could be as independent as possible, despite the heart failure. I did not realize that the combination of diet and exercise would have such an amazing effect on my blood pressure and my blood sugar and my general health.

I thought that dieting was mostly to keep you slim, and that exercise was just to keep you toned, or build your muscles, not to make you more healthy. Talk about naive, huh?

Quote:
In a previous post you included "high fiber". Does that mean your diet is/was largely vegetarian or vegan?
The diet that I digest consists of veggies, salads, cereal and soy milk, oatmeal, eggs and Tilapia. No chicken, beef, pork, etc.

Are you a vegetarian?

Quote:
You also mentioned that you added salt (5-30-2006). Did you go from no-salt to the daily requirement?
I have mostly ignored the salt content of my meals. I always thought that salt had little effect on me, and I had often posted that. I was wrong. Too much salt negatively effects my heart rate and my blood pressure.

Currently, though, I would imagine that I do get the mdr of salt.

Why did you ask? How does salt effect you?

Quote:
What you've done shows that the human body has an amazing ability to repair itself, given the tools it needs like healthy diet & exercise.
I can't really believe it myself. When I was first diagnosed with Heart Failure at Mount Sinai in Miami Beach, back in 1987, I thought all that was needed was a handful of pills. I did not diet. I did not exercise. But I did continue to get worse.

Quote:
Unfortunately, most people give up too soon and never find that out. Some don't even get started because they believe there's no hope/no cure.
I agree with you. It's a shame. Many could significantly improve their health by going to a healthy diet, even if they hate it, and start an exercise program. For exercise, I would start slow, and easy, and gradually build up the reps and the intensity, especially if there is discomfort.

Thanks for your post. Best of health!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Are you a vegetarian?
Mostly I am. I just have a serving of fish once per week at home. Sometimes if I eat out with a friend (once or twice per month) I'll have some meat.

Quote:
Why did you ask? How does salt effect you?
I never notice any effect one way or the other. I didn't use any salt for a couple of years and then I decided to try some. It's a brand called "Real Salt" that I bought in a health food store. It's unprocessed and is rich in minerals. I try not to overdo it and usually just use it in the morning on oatmeal.

Quote:
Thanks for your post. Best of health!
Dittos

Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Yesterday I "chewed but not swallowed" creamy vanilla ice cream, low salt tortilla chips, two bags of low salt popcorn, a crunchy granola bar, and a chewy granola bar; plus I chewed and swallowed my six balanced, healthy meals; which is just about normal for each and every day.
I kinda went overboard after I found a way to enjoy some of my favorite snacks without negatively effecting my health. However, I found myself spending too much time snacking and eating. I don't blame myself, because it's taken years for me to recover from my serious illnesses, and now that I am doing so much better, I went a little overboard with the fun of snacking!

I am now only "snacking an not chewing" two bags of popcorn, three granola bars, and a half bar of chocolate; and I have greatly reduced my tortilla chips and soy ice cream. My blood pressure and blood sugar and energy is still great. For instance, my most recent morning fasting blood sugar was 84, and blood pressure was 114/62.

How come no one else, who also does "chew and not swallow", is responding to this thread? Embarrassed to admit it? There is nothing wrong with "chewing and not swallow", in my opinion, as long as it is done within reason, and as long as it is done along with a very healthy balanced diet.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... I am now only "snacking an not chewing" two bags of popcorn, three granola bars, and a half bar of chocolate; and I have greatly reduced my tortilla chips and soy ice cream.
I am now only "snacking and not chewing" two bags of popcorn. I have totally stopped, for now, the granola bars, the chocolate bars, the ice cream and the tortilla chips. Even though I was not swallowing the snacks, the "chewing and not swallowing" was causing my body to pump too much Insulin, IMHO. My blood sugar readings were getting lower and lower; I was getting tired, weak all the time, my feet were swelling, and my stomach started getting sick when I ate anything.

It's been three full days of just "chewing and not swallowing" popcorn. I have more energy. I really feel good. My bad experience reminds me of an old say: "If you've got to be dumb, you've got to be tough!".

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with "chewing and not swallow", in my opinion, as long as it is done within reason, and as long as it is done along with a very healthy balanced diet.
I was totally wrong about the safety of "chewing and now swallow". I've learned that, even if I am not swallowing, or digesting the snacks, certain snacks cause an Insulin reaction. This pours too much Insulin into the body and can cause all kinds of nasty health problems, as I learned the hard way.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-15-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I was totally wrong about the safety of "chewing and now swallow". I've learned that, even if I am not swallowing, or digesting the snacks, certain snacks cause an Insulin reaction. This pours too much Insulin into the body and can cause all kinds of nasty health problems, as I learned the hard way.
You're absolutely right about that. I read something about it in one of the Zone books, many years ago. But when you posted about what you were doing, it didn't ring a bell. Now that you've mentioned it, I remember. Dr. Sears said something to the effect that whenever something sweet is tasted, a signal is sent to the brain/pancreas to get ready by releasing insulin.

I believe the same thing will happen if you enjoy looking at pictures of food or talking about your favorite foods. An expectation of eating is set up so the body begins to release insulin (in addition to digestive enzimes?). That's why looking at pictures and/or talking about food usually makes people hungry. (That's what I think, but there may be more to it than that; there may be a long chain of events.)

The more I read and think about these things, the more I realize that we can't get away with anything! There are always consequences to be paid.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
Machaon (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
... The more I read and think about these things, the more I realize that we can't get away with anything! There are always consequences to be paid.

These words of yours should be engraved in stone!

I eat three good sized salads each day and two good sized veggie plates. I also eat three small bowls of cereal each day, and two micro-waved single egg omelets each day. Twice a week I have a microwaved Tilapia filet. That's it! That's all I eat. That's all that my metabolism allows me to eat!

OTOH, I have Heart Failure and Permanent Atrial Fibrillation and latent Diabetes II and latent Insulin Resistance and latent chronically high blood pressure; and they all are very well controlled and improving. At my last physical, my doctor told me that I was in remarkably good shape!

So...... I tried some "chewing and not swallow" snacks. I figured, what the hell, if I don't eat them, how can it possibly hurt me!?

Like you say, "we can't get away with anything!"

At least I can "chew and not swallow" popcorn, as long as the majority of the popcorn is plain, without salt. So..... between the popcorn and the gallons of decaf black coffee, I am a happy camper.

Your information on smelling and seeing food, causing an insulin and digestive enzyme reaction; and your explanation, is interesting. Thanks!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-16-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... At least I can "chew and not swallow" popcorn, as long as the majority of the popcorn is plain, without salt. So..... between the popcorn and the gallons of decaf black coffee, I am a happy camper.
Had to completely stop "chew and not swallow". I have become Insulin Resistant again and it is causing some nasty health problems. Yuck!

I also had to cut down on the black coffee.

I am back on my extremely strict, low calorie, small meal diet that targets Insulin Resistance. I hope that, after a few months of strict dieting, I will once again recover from Insulin Resistance. I've fought this battle before, and won, so I guess I can do it again.

"Chew and not swallow" aka as "Chew and Spit" was not smart or healthy to do.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (01-24-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Had to completely stop "chew and not swallow". I have become Insulin Resistant again and it is causing some nasty health problems. Yuck! ...
Fortunately, I was wrong about becoming Insulin Resistant again. My health problems disappeared just a day or two after I stopped the "chewing and not swallowing". I don't really know what the "chew and not swallowing" was doing to my body, but whatever it was, it wasn't very pleasant!

I've stayed away from "chewing and not swallowing" for a few months. However......I think that I've come up with a better, more healthy way to incorporate "chewing and not swallowing" into my diet.

It's now going into the 3rd day of testing a new dietary approach to "chewing and swallowing". I really feel that this new approach will actually allow me to have a healthier diet, and that it will be beneficial to my health! So far, I LOVE the results, and it has only been a couple of days!
edit: Now 15 days using "chewing and now swallowing" to provide a more enjoyable eating experience during the day, while allowing me to maintain a very healthy, reasonable calorie, high fiber, low glycemic balanced diet. Blood Sugar readings GREAT! Blood Pressure GREAT! At 70 years of age, I feel very good, with a lot of energy, plus..... losing inches around the middle! Still too early to declare victory, but I am very VERY pleased with the results!
However, like some of my nutty experiments, this "chewing and swallowing" dietary experiment could crash and burn, so I will hold back on any more detail until I discover whether or not it is good for my health or not-so-good.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-29-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Closed Thread