It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

stavros440 HB User
Can a poor diet make you this weak?

There's two pieces to this puzzle. Firstly, the job I do involves all manner of manual labour; quite a bit of heavy lifting, and a little bit of mental power to juggle different tasks that all require attention, with various urgencies. I am fully capable of doing this job, and have a personal mantra on the job's busier days - "If you're not sweating, you're not working hard enough." (Oh, but I only get 3-4 days a week.) This evening was one of the quieter days. However, I could barely focus on the job, not from a lack of trying. My mind had disappeared; apparently to concentrate on other things, but there were moments where I would stop and think "What was I doing?". Meanwhile, the lifting was not half as bad as I can typically do; however, a few hours in, my arms were shaking just trying to keep some things up. I'd like to think today was an off day, but I've never had an "off day" be quite so difficult to do.

Now, I've been doing this job for a few months. I've also been living alone, and due to financial strains, I've lived a good portion of my time on dry pasta; fruit and veg has often been a luxury; as has meat and fish. Though I do get fed a meal in work, often on those days, it's the only meal I will eat; and will barely have time to eat it. So basically, I've lived on rations. Is it possible that only now, several months after this lifestyle began, my body is beginning to react to low levels of nutrition? And what can I do to quickly get back into the swing of my ability? Please don't say "See a doctor", because a. I'm not that worried, I just want to know how to get back to my A Game, and b. I obviously cannot afford it.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Can a poor diet make you this weak?

Dry pasta? Should I assume it's uncooked? Or do you cook it and then let it dry out? If it's uncooked, don't you have a place to boil water? One author, a doctor, said it's not good to eat raw grain.

It sounds like the meal you get at work is not much of a meal. Is it a balanced meal?

If you're not getting the nutrition you need, it's likely that your body is beginning to react to it. One thing that would definitely slow you down (make you weaker) is a lack of protein. I think they call it "protein malnutrition". This assumes a long term deficiency which can lead to muscular atrophy. And if you lack vitamins and minerals over a long period of time, it will likely have an adverse effect on your immune system.

Dry beans, lentils and split peas would be an inexpensive way to get some protein but you would need a place to cook. Otherwise, canned would be okay but would cost a little more. If you have access to a farmers market, you could buy some inexpensive vegetables. And without a place to cook, you could make salads.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-05-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

Beatrice Hannah HB User

I think there is a direct link between poor diet and being weak. With your kind of work that requires physical exertion, lots of carbohydrates would help. Have you tried adding rice to your meal? Rice & veggies ( like beans for protein ) shouldn't be too expensive. To begin with, we shouldn't scrimp when it comes to our health, you now. Just my two cents.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

michellegrl HB User

certainly can make you feel weak
you need to have a mix well balanced diet

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
(male)

JacobH HB User

you are protein defficent. you need to eat more period. find a food bank or sign up for state aid or something because these are signs of early starvation.

Closed Thread