It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

sarahsard13 HB User
Always Hungry

I'm 19 years old, about 5'6'' and I think around 120 pounds. I've always had a big appetite. I was active and played sports through middle school, so I think that was why I could eat so much. Through high school I could still eat huge meals, even though I was no longer exercising. I would eat fast food for every single meal and I had horrible eating habits. But I never gained weight. Now I'm in college and I run for an hour 5-6 days a week. No matter how hard I try I literally cannot stop eating. I try to eat small meals every 2 hours and I try to eat healthy food, with plenty of protein and fiber. Even when I don't workout, like this whole week I haven't been to the gym because I've been so busy, I'm still forcing myself to avoid the kitchen. I can eat the biggest meals and still be hungry afterwards. I was reading information online and some people say diabetes causes extreme hunger. I also do drink a lot of water and I have family members with diabetes on both sides of my family. Do I have reason to go to the doctor? Or do I just have a fast metabolism and need to work on eating the right foods?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Always Hungry

There are places that will test your blood-sugar for free; you just need to inquire locally and find out where they are. I think it's best to get tested about 2 hours after a meal. But it doesn't have to be exact, just remember what time you had your meal because they will likely ask you. Then they will tell you if you need to see a doctor for further testing.

You might just be worrying needlessly. It could be that you're hungry from all the running. An hour every day burns a lot of calories. Then with being away from the gym for a week, you're still burning calories because you're keeping busy. And the muscles you have built up are still doing their thing, as far as burning calories.

But even if you don't have a problem now with high blood-glucose levels, with family members having it you should be careful to eat a good diet. That means staying away from processed foods, especially any baked goods made with white flour. You should eat natural whole foods as much as possible, like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and berries. Use olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing on salads, if possible.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-05-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: punctuation

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
sarahsard13 (10-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread