It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

qiuyue HB User
ulcerative colitis, appetite loss, weight gain

I was diagnosed a few years ago with ulcerative colitis, though the symptoms have been going on for much longer than that. I've taken up reading a lot of ulcerative colitis to see how I can adapt my diete and make healthy choices but one thing that I don't get is... why am I gaining weight??

I'm never truly hungry at meal times, I don't snack, I don't eat high-sugar foods to prevent bloating and I never eat packaged foods out of personal taste (I prefer cooking everything fresh). My portions are usually the size a 10 year old child would eat, though I've seen children eat more than I do. I do regular (but not scheduled or intensive) excercise, I barely drink alcohol (once or twice a month, not more than a few drinks or beers) and I cook everything from scratch.

I could keep going on about my food choices but I think it's pretty clear I'm doing evrything possible to stop bloating, flareups and feeling sick. I don't have a GI or a nutritioniste following me as I live in China, so seeing a doctor isn't optional, but I do know that most people who have ulcerative colitis loose weight, not gain.

So all in all, does anyone have any clue whats up? Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Does anyone have a 'food/ excercise plan' that might help? My weight is becoming unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do....

Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: ulcerative colitis, appetite loss, weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiuyue View Post
I was diagnosed a few years ago with ulcerative colitis, though the symptoms have been going on for much longer than that. I've taken up reading a lot of ulcerative colitis to see how I can adapt my diet and make healthy choices but one thing that I don't get is... why am I gaining weight??
Did your doctor run enough tests to rule out other possible causes? Could it be you didn't get the correct diagnosis? What type of doctor did you go to?
Gastroenterologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
(female)

Gucci HB User

ulcerative colitis means a big lifestyle change, balance and a "listen to your body" training corse. You have it so it's about maintaining it. Did you see a GI or a doctor? Did you have a colonoscopy? what was the diagnosis? There are so many questions.. IBS falls under an umbrella of many different paths. Look forward to a dialogue with you

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
(female)

qiuyue HB User

I did meet a GI, had a colonoscopy, and the diagnostic was confirmed as IBD- Chronic Ulcerative Colitis. I had so many tests that frankly I can't remember all of them, my doctor wanted to clear me for everything before sending me to a GI, as to make his diagnostic flawless.

I have to admit I've had doctors who didnt care in the past (seen 3 doctors in the 5 years before this diagnostic who said there was nothing wrong with me, but never bothered having a colonoscopy... guess that was what he did right.) but he did and did a good job at figuring out what was wrong with me. So there is no doupt in my head, he didn't screw up.

That said, I learned yesterday after an emergency visit at the hosp that I had acute Cholecystitis. Yeah. More food restrictions. Goodbye to the last tasty foods, hello extra low fat extra low protein diete!

Closed Thread