It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

andrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB User
why doesn't food taste good anymore?

Just a bit of background for you - I have serious back issues that have pretty much kept me in bed 90% of the time for the last couple of months. One surgery down, another probably to come in December. The only meds I'm on now are two painkillers and Valium.

I'm 38, female, and on leave from work. Over the last couple of months, I've lost 20 pounds from just not eating. I want to eat, but nothing smells/looks/tastes good. I'm trying chicken noodle soup now and even it doesn't work too good. I keep my blood sugar up by drinking gatorade - it's gotten too low a couple times I know and caused me to pass out one night.

I've tried my favorite foods (wonton soup, fried rice, pizza), but so far the only thing I can handle more than a few bites at a time of is applesauce, and I know that's not exactly the kind of diet I need. Does anyone have any advice for getting me "over the hump" so to speak and able to eat normally again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

marrie12 HB Usermarrie12 HB User
Re: why doesn't food taste good anymore?

Hi I am sorry to hear that you are struggling right now. It sounds like you are in an emotional state, your past surgery and the one coming up, your quality of life is not what you would like it to be so it's not wonder that you don't feel like eating and that the taste is not there. First of all, make sure you have people around you whether it be friends or family, short visits from loved ones can work wonders. Also it's okay if you only eat small amounts, don't push yourself to eat more however eat more times a day, eat snacks and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, it's important to stay hydrated. Do you have someone taking care of you? Try not to focus on eating but instead focus on positive things in your life, things you enjoy, such as music, books etc., this will help you through this difficult time. I am not an expert or anything I am just speaking from personal experience and what has worked for me when I am was in a similar situation. I was dealing with a stressful situation and I had become dehydrated and was losing weight I was not really eating and of course hardly drinking any water at all. For me family, friends and prayer pulled me through. Prayer is a very powerful tool. Please take care and let me know if any of this is helpful to you.
Marrie12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread