It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
(male)

Ruminator HB User
Problems with Juicing

Hey all, so I bought a juicer last week and perhaps jumped in a bit too fast. I started drinking 3 a day before or in place of meals. Various mixes of carrots, kale, romaine, beets, apples, cucumber, celery, oranges. The first few made me feel rejuvenated and lively, skin cleared up a bit, energy was higher. But by the third day they were making me nauseous, tired, weak, dizzy, spacy, and flu-like.

Also, today I was on the treadmill at the gym and I recognized the smell of fresh veggie juice. Figured someone next to me brought their own concoction. Turns out it was actually just me - my sweat smelled exactly like the stuff I've been making. So does that mean my body is trying to get rid of all this junk?

I only had one glass today, but stomach is still a bit off and I'm kind of out of it. Afraid to keep drinking the stuff.

Any suggestions? Plow through the discomfort? Ease into juicing slowly? Quit altogether? All input appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Problems with Juicing

Wait a minute. You aren't eating, just drinking fruit and vegetable juice? You need to eat food, my friend, especially if you are exercising!

Perhaps a smaller amount of juice, along with some balanced meals (including protein sources.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
(male)

Ruminator HB User

No, no, no. I'm eating. Just not that much. Bowl of cereal for breakfast with fruits and nuts. Small sandwich for lunch. Small dinner. And juice at each meal.

I'm just wondering why I felt so sick. I guess I'll try diluting it and drinking less.

Anybody have this happen before? Jane, what's your juicing experience?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

fatoldlady HB User

It is not true that you need to eat if you are only getting your nutrients from juicing vegetables and some fruit. Use a good juicer, a single or dual auger juicer , where the juices made at low RPM an the oxidation factor is lowest. You are getting calories and by avoiding fiber, you are giving your digestive system a rest. Everyone should work out while on a juice fast. Our bodies are made for physical activity.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

IMO you should discontinue the juices. Drinking juice seems like a healthy thing to do but once you understand how your body reacts to it you realize how counterproductive it is to health and particularly weight loss. It could be the sugar content that's making you feel spacy, particularly if your body isn't used to lots of sugar (or if you have any tendency towards diabetic or insulin disorders) but it's always best to eat whole fruit without juicing it.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

fatoldlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjaneway View Post
IMO you should discontinue the juices. Drinking juice seems like a healthy thing to do but once you understand how your body reacts to it you realize how counterproductive it is to health and particularly weight loss. It could be the sugar content that's making you feel spacy, particularly if your body isn't used to lots of sugar (or if you have any tendency towards diabetic or insulin disorders) but it's always best to eat whole fruit without juicing it.
If you are juicing, juice primarily vegetables. If you are jucing and eating, you are eating too much. Replace you sandwich with just a juice. Juice and dairy together? No wonder you don't feel good. Fruit juice has a high sugar content. Juicing vegetables will not interfere with your blood sugar. I have been juicing only for nine days, and have juiced the following vegetables: broccoli, kale, parlsey spinach, ginger, shallots, beets, carrots celery, cabbage, as well grapefruit, apples, grapes and pears. Try and buy organic when available.
Carrots and celery are good bases for mixing with darker, leafy, green vegetables. Add some apple of some grapes with the leafy greens until you can wean yourself off the fruit juice which is satisfying a (typical american) palate conditioned for too much sweet or salty tastes.

When you juice only your body gets a break from: grains, dairy, alcohol & caffeine and artifical and other sugar or sugar enhancers plus all those artifical ingredients that you can not pronouce that are any food that comes in container, like a box of cereal.

Getting big doses of phytonutrients through juicing is not harmful. First two days on a fat are a little stressful, but on day three it gets easier, you just miss eating.

What is harmful, is giving up excercise. You need to move your body every day. If you are not used to excercising, start with walking and add 5 minutes every day until you are walking 10,000 - 15,000 steps per day.

Photo below replaced my breakfast and lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7195_Small.JPG (34.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

If someone wants to follow the latest diet fad and live on juice for 3 months, I'm not going to stop them, but juicing defies all nutritional logic. You will be starving your body of vital nutritional elements.

A healthy diet does not involve lots of sugar anyway, or lots of artificial ingredients. I'm just curious what the plan is after the juicing finishes. Eventually you have to go back to eating, and in those 3 months you could have just as easily started eating healthy nutritious meals and be on your way to lifelong sustainable diet changes. short time diets and dietary fads don't improve your health in the long run simply because they aren't sustainable but good luck with your juicing if that's what you want to do

The simple hard fact is, your body is designed with specific dietary needs and all of these serve a purpose in sustaining various functions in the body. If you eat unhealthy, or follow fad diets, either way, you're still not meeting those needs

Last edited by captjane; 12-12-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
(male)

Ruminator HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjaneway View Post
If someone wants to follow the latest diet fad and live on juice for 3 months, I'm not going to stop them, but juicing defies all nutritional logic. You will be starving your body of vital nutritional elements.

A healthy diet does not involve lots of sugar anyway, or lots of artificial ingredients. I'm just curious what the plan is after the juicing finishes. Eventually you have to go back to eating, and in those 3 months you could have just as easily started eating healthy nutritious meals and be on your way to lifelong sustainable diet changes. short time diets and dietary fads don't improve your health in the long run simply because they aren't sustainable but good luck with your juicing if that's what you want to do

The simple hard fact is, your body is designed with specific dietary needs and all of these serve a purpose in sustaining various functions in the body. If you eat unhealthy, or follow fad diets, either way, you're still not meeting those needs
Well, I think everyone's body is designed with slightly different dietary needs. Apparently juicing works for some, but did not agree with me whatsoever.
In lieu of juicing, I've now been eating the same fruits and veggies (in smaller quantities) that I WOULD HAVE juiced... and my stomach tolerates it just fine. And I feel great!

Fatoldlady, you've been juicing for nine days? That's about as long as I lasted. It sounds like it's going great for you, though. Let us know how it pans out.

As for now, I'm gonna keep listening to my body and only use the juicer occasionally.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
(female)

fatoldlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruminator View Post
Well, I think everyone's body is designed with slightly different dietary needs. Apparently juicing works for some, but did not agree with me whatsoever.
In lieu of juicing, I've now been eating the same fruits and veggies (in smaller quantities) that I WOULD HAVE juiced... and my stomach tolerates it just fine. And I feel great!

Fatoldlady, you've been juicing for nine days? That's about as long as I lasted. It sounds like it's going great for you, though. Let us know how it pans out.

As for now, I'm gonna keep listening to my body and only use the juicer occasionally.
It is day 19 (sort of) I have eating lentil soup occasionally when it gets cold. What happens after the juice fast?

My short term plan after spending time on the juice fast ( 45- 60 days of juicing is my goal) is to transition to Dr Furmans 6 week "eat to live" plan, for 3-4 months (eating two pounds of vegetables daily) continuing with no dairy, no oil, no processed foods or meats, gluten, etc.. until my blood pressure is better and I dont carry an apron of fat on the front of my body.

I am morbidly obese. Even though everyone on this board seems to be opposed to a vegetable or green juice fast. If baffles me. I am getting high doses (more than if I was eating vegetables) of micronutrients.

I now understand how men think about sex. For the first three days, that is how my mind thought about food. Every ten seconds, something would make me think of a food I had eaten in the past, the food thoughts were in my face, big visual images out of nowhere and all the time, from entering the bank- I could smell the Burger King a block away, Just Desserts chocolate cakes were dancing in my minds eye whenever I hit the brakes, old sense memories of sugar fat and salt foods.

I have consumed more vegetables and fruit in the past 19 days that I have in the past nine months.
How can that be a bad thing? I never would have ate those veggies, I would have opted for pizza and beer. Now y palatte is changing.

I have lost 16 pounds in weight and one inch in circumference. ( 8 inches to go)

Last year I could not imagine life without a morning latte and a late night cheese pizza. My biggest goal in 2012 is to only eat organic food that I prepare myself. Even if it is an occasional latte or a cheese pizza. Not to mention alcohol.. I drank a lot of alcohol. Red wine with pizza, beer with sushi... beer with chips and dip.... white wine with chicken.

Being on the juice fast is helping me thow out my cravings. Just juiced brussel sprouts off the stalk (20), 2 stalks celery, 1/2 meyer lemon no rind, handful of dandilion greens, (20) red grapes, 2 bok choy leaves. yield about 14 ounces. Yummy.

I put my money on the line to get a good juicer, buy good organic ingredients, and give my body a break - something other than layered processed foods made of primarily of sugar, fat and salt.

If juicing is a fad, its been around california a long, long time.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldlady For This Useful Post:
Brocallie (12-22-2011)
Closed Thread