It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

Snowflake01 HB User
Assess my daily diet please!

Hi there.

I really feel like i am eating too much and that my calorie intake is way too high compared to the rest of my family.i feel as though i am packing on pounds by the day.

For example: Today i ate:
Breakfast: +- 2 cups all bran with like 4 tbsp Granola cereal
+- cup of fat free milk
4 tsp sugar
tea (with milk + 2 sweeteners)
1 digestive biscuit

Lunch: +- cup (250 g) plain fat free yogurt
+- 3 tbsp muesli
2 sweeteners

2 crackerbreads with bovril and margarine
cup of apple juice

2 digestive biscuits
coffee (with milk + 2 sweeteners)

Dinner: Steamed vegetables - broccoli; baby marrows; mushrooms; peas
brown rice with tomato sauce
cup of peach ice tea

I am always eating! even when not hungry. I try to count calories but im no good at it.(How much would you say "todays" intake was?) Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Last edited by Snowflake01; 12-12-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Assess my daily diet please!

You're certainly not overeating at all, I actually think you're still undereating a bit because your lunch isn't very substantial at all and your dinner could do with some additional protein IMO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

Yavanna HB User

Artificial sweeteners have been linked to weight gain so you may want to research that as a possibility.

Also, your diet seems heavily carb laden without much protein. Carbs are easy to digest so you get hungry faster. Eating more protein should help you feel full longer and it helps with maintaining your muscles. Even if you are vegetarian and don't want to eat meat, adding legumes (beans) and nuts to your diet would be a big help.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

Yavanna HB User

Calorie wise:

Digestive biscuit plain (each one)
Calories: 75
Carbs: 10g
Fat: 3g
Protein: 1g

All Bran (2 cups - a single serving is 1/2 cup)
Calories: 320
Carbs: 92g
Fat: 4g
Protein: 16g

Fat free milk (cup)
Calories: 86
Carbs: 12g
Fat: 0g
Protein: 8g

Fat free yogurt (9 oz or 250 g = serving and a half )
Calroies: 255
Carbs: 54g
Fat: 2g
Protein: 7g

Crackerbreads (each one)
Calories: 19
Carbs: 4g
Fat: 0g
Protein: 1g

Brown rice (1 cup)
Calories: 218
Carbs: 46g
Fat: 1.6g
Protein: 4.5g

Juice is around 120 calories per cup too and 30g carbs, zero protein.

You are eating over 85% of your diet as carbs.

I personally aim for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat in my diet.

The golden rule is: 40-50% Carbs, 25-35% protein, 20-30% fat. Under 2500 mg of sodium and over 25 grams of fiber. Above 1200 calories per day female or 1500 per day male or your body goes into starvation mode and doesn't want to let go of any fat. Your max calories per day depend on how active you are and how well your metabolism works.

I hope this help you with your diet concerns.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
(female)

Eburt HB User

I would cut out the Digestives, sweeteners, juice and ice tea, since these are all sources of calories in your diet that add no health benefits.

I agree with Yavanna that you definitely need more protein in your diet, since from what you posted you didn't get a serving of "meat and alternatives" in your whole day, according to the Canada food guide. "Meat and alternatives" encompasses many sources of protein, so if you're vegetarian (like me!) they take you into consideration. My suggestions for best quality plant protein is pulses/legumes. They are high in fibre, vitamins/minerals, protein, and low in fat, and calories. What are Pulses/legumes? Soy beans, kidney beans, yellow split peas, chickpeas, lentils, mung beans, navy beans, fava beans, black eyed peas, pidgeon peas, pinto beans, congo peas, black beans, etc... You can tell by my list that there is a lot of variety. There are endless possibilities for how you can use pulses and incorporate them into your diet. You're concerned about your weight, so don't worry about adding these, they have no fat, low calories and the fibre and protein will make you feel full eating less. I'm always advocating eating these, because they are such an excellent source of nutrition and not many people in the West eat them enough. I try to eat them everyday. Lentils can be added to recipes that use ground beef by using 60% beef to 40% cooked lentils, and if you get the little brown lentils, you can't tell they're even in it. For me, I'll mix them in with Veggie ground round, which is TVP "ground beef" if I'm cooking for my family, but if it's just for me I'll make it with just lentils because I like the taste . If you do eat meat, try incorporating lean meats into your meals, like fish or chicken breast. Keep in mind one serving of meat should be about the size of a deck of cards, or approx. the palm of your hand (depending on who you talk to), so you don't have to add a lot to make a difference in your diet.

Since your concerned about your weight, try drinking unsweetened green tea (if you don't like the bittereness of green tea, try getting jasmine tea which has a floral taste) instead of the black tea with milk+sweetener. Green tea helps you lose weight and it has many other proven health benefits as well. Another tea I drink a lot which I could suggest is pu-erh tea, which is a good digestive aid and helps your body process cholesterol and fats more efficiently.

You could also try snacking on nuts to add protein. Dried fruit makes a great snack as long as it's not sweetened or flavoured with anything.

Making sure you get plenty of protein and insoluble fibre will help cut down on cravings during the day and keep your blood sugar levels stable.

Oh yeah, one last thing, I see you're not drinking any water! You shoud replace the fruit juice with plain water, and drink more of it! Being dehydrated makes you feel hungry and sometimes you feel hungry when you're actually just thirsty. If you ate recently and you're feeling hungry again, try drinking cool (not cold) plain water instead.

Hope that helps!

Closed Thread