It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 343
kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Which bread is healthier?

100% whole wheat flower with 2 grams of sugars per slice.

A bread with 75% whole wheat flower and 25% wheat flower (which my understanding is the same a white flower) with 0 grams of sugar.

What if the second bread was 50%, 50%?

Which will kill me faster? The sugar or white flower?

Last edited by kevinla; 12-17-2011 at 05:09 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Smile Re: Which bread is healthier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post

Which will kill me faster? The sugar or white flower?
Wow! That's a tough choice. Does the 100% whole wheat bread get it's sugar content from high fructose corn syrup? If so, I would rule that out.

The second one is marginally better, in my opinion.

What's wrong with both of them is that they are made from finely ground flour. To say that a bread made with flour is 100% whole grain or whole wheat is a little misleading. Any grain that's ground into flour is no longer "whole". And it makes a big difference in the way it gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Baked goods made with flour will be absorbed into your bloodstream faster. That means there's a tendency to raise your blood sugar faster. And that's not good.

A better choice would be any bread made from sprouts. Supermarkets that carry it, keep it in a freezer near the frozen vegetables. There will be some that have no additives whatsoever. After you buy it, you keep it in the freezer because they typically don't contain any preservatives.


Last edited by JohnR41; 12-17-2011 at 06:59 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 343
kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Re: Which bread is healthier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Wow! That's a tough choice. Does the 100% whole wheat bread get it's sugar content from high fructose corn syrup? If so, I would rule that out.

The second one is marginally better, in my opinion.

What's wrong with both of them is that they are made from finely ground flour. To say that a bread made with flour is 100% whole grain or whole wheat is a little misleading. Any grain that's ground into flour is no longer "whole". And it makes a big difference in the way it gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Baked goods made with flour will be absorbed into your bloodstream faster. That means there's a tendency to raise your blood sugar faster. And that's not good.

A better choice would be any bread made from sprouts. Supermarkets that carry it, keep it in a freezer near the frozen vegetables. There will be some that have no additives whatsoever. After you buy it, you keep it in the freezer because they typically don't contain any preservatives.

The 100% whole wheat bread gets its sugar from refined sugar. What if it was honey?

 
Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Smile Re: Which bread is healthier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
The 100% whole wheat bread gets its sugar from refined sugar. What if it was honey?
Then it's a little better but, personally, I don't like having to make this choice. Bread is still bread. Two slices, when used to make a sandwich, for example, will give you about 220 calories. That's a lot of calories and you don't get much in return as far as healthfulness.

Note: Mothers have been known to say: "If you want to be healthy, eat your vegetables." That's good advice. I don't recall any mother ever saying, "if you want to be healthy, eat your bread." That's because bread is not a health food.

 
Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 343
kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Re: Which bread is healthier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Then it's a little better but, personally, I don't like having to make this choice. Bread is still bread. Two slices, when used to make a sandwich, for example, will give you about 220 calories. That's a lot of calories and you don't get much in return as far as healthfulness.

Note: Mothers have been known to say: "If you want to be healthy, eat your vegetables." That's good advice. I don't recall any mother ever saying, "if you want to be healthy, eat your bread." That's because bread is not a health food.
Agree.

I think when I was younger, I think Wonder promoted their bread as being healthy.


 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!