It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

Nippers HB User
Improving my diet

I was chubby in high school and I gained a large amount of weight while I was in college, and unfortunately, the bad eating habits and bad exercising habits stuck with me, and my weight went up even further, until one day I noticed that I just felt horrible. I went to see a doctor and she told me something I wasn't ready to hear. Looking back I can see she was right, but at the time I ignored her and even felt hurt by what she had to say.

She told me if I didn't lose 100 pounds I wouldn't live to see my 30th birthday.

Then I noticed that I was having a hard time breathing after just a small amount of exertion--- picking my clothes up off the floor. I had horrible pains and just felt tired and awful day after day.

I finally started to realize that I had to do something about it.

So, I threw out all my food, and started over with nothing but fresh raw fruits and vegetables. It was horrible! I hated them. I later added some tuna fish packed in water, and I also added fat free yogurt. For protein, etc.

I started drinking only 100% blueberry juice and 100% pomegranate juice and vegetable juice instead of sodas.

I started exercising. Just a little bit at first. I worked my way up to the point where I could walk around my block. Then after a few weeks of that, I went further. Then further. Then further. Now I can walk 5 miles a day easily.

I lost 67 pounds over about a year and a half.

I have to lose some more, but I am working on it.

Every once in awhile I fall off my diet, mainly when I go out to eat with friends or when I splurge on fast food. But I don't buy it and bring it back home. At home I have nothing to cheat on. It's all raw fruits, raw vegetables, or tuna packed in water, or fat free yogurt.

I feel so much better than I have in years!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me about losing weight, and maybe some suggestions about what I should be eating on my diet? I am always open to new ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Improving my diet

What I found to be the most valuable thing in order to lose weight was to keep "an invisible zipper over mouth in closed position" when in presence of food other than meal time.

Consuming good foods is not all the answer either, need to measure/weigh normal or less than normal portions for meals.

The more hungry you are at meal time the larger the servings will be, the brain just does that to us. Depend on measuring cups, etc. instead of trusting your brain to tell you what a normal portion is.

Congratulations on your weight loss, know you will succeed!!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
(male)

Nippers HB User

Ah! Thank you! The measuring cup idea is great. I have noticed that my portion sizes are probably too big.

I will start using a measuring cup from now on to keep me from cheating.

When I look at the serving size for the fat free yogurt, it is really very small, and perhaps I have been eating too much of it. Eventhough it is fat free, it still has a lot of calories-- a lot more than raw vegetables, for example.

I find it very difficult to not snack in between meals, but I will have to work on that as well.

I have cut processed carbs (bread, crackers, chips, cereal, etc.) completely out of my diet. I replaced them with things like raw fresh bananas, raw apples, etc.

The one thing I cook is sweet potatoes and butternut squash. But I don't put any butter on them. I don't put anything on them. I just microwave them until they are soft and then I eat them. They are surprisingly sweet all by themselves, but that makes me wonder how many calories they might have-- even all by themselves.

About once a month, I go out with friends to eat, and I must admit that I go wild at that time in terms of eating. I know it is a problem, but I feel that if I don't splurge every once in a while, I will lose hope, and start giving up on the diet, and go back to binge eating at home.

That's the main thing I have done which seems to work-- there are no "cheating" foods at home. If I want to cheat, I have to go somewhere else to do it. That takes away the impulse eating.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
(female)

rose0023 HB User

I think you have to do some exercise also and drink alots of water it really help you to reduce weight .

Closed Thread