It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

Winkie67 HB User
Snack Question

If I'm going to allow for a 200 calorie snack does it matter what I choose to eat? I want to make the healthiest choices but sometimes at snack time I want something processed like cheese and crackers. I eat fruit everyday and sometimes with my meals so at snack time I often prefer something else. I like raw veggies with fat free dressing as a snack but have enough with my meals too so I'm just wondering about having two 100 calorie packs of cookies or 200 calories worth of popcorn or pretzles? Wanting to eat to maintain my weight but will soon want to try to lose 10-15 pounds. Are all calories created equally or not? Does it really matter if I consume the calories from fruit or vegetables or from not so healthy carbs? I'm so confused!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
(female)

kcrider HB User
Re: Snack Question

I've been there and done that. I've come to the conclusion that eating cardboard isn't good. Fat free foods such as cheese simply don't taste as good. I have been on a calorie counting diet and that works every time. It is an effort to keep track of what you eat but if you put the effort in up front and plan a menu then it's just a matter of eating the same thing all the time. Portion control works but it's hard. I think you can eat real healthy this way because I tended to eat more of those foods with less calories so I could eat more. This way food becomes just a filler. It needs to be a change in mind set and life style or it won't work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

CookieJewel HB User
Re: Snack Question

I totally understand the desire for the processed stuff, but I had to back away from the fat free/low fat replacements for the 'real' stuff. There might be less fat, but generally these things are higher in sugar and sodium. Something has to make up the flavor and texture when they remove the fat from these things! I've seriously tried to find healthier alternatives that still give me the same satisfaction. My latest thing is homemade hummus and grain chips. I get Food Should Taste Good brand multigrain chips from Costco and make a double batch of hummus every week. If you've never made hummus it's a snap in a food processor and I'd be happy to share my easy recipe. I get the chip and dip satisfaction as well as the salty crunch, but I get the added benefit of knowing it's healthy, it's high in fiber so it keeps me full longer, and I know I'm doing something good for my body and soul!

Cookie

Closed Thread