It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
(female)

Acoustics4me HB User
LC lowered my Triglycerides Dramatically

Hey there. Just signed up to the board and have a question.

I started low carb in March of last year. I was going great guns for a long time, even after I increased my carb intake to about 100g per day. Then I got sloppy and allowed far too many carbs in, and my appetite returned. Anyway, that's just a little preamble so you know where I'm at.

I had blood tests taken last week. I compared them with my previous blood test taken several years earlier and I see that, even though I am eating more fat now than ever, my triglycerides have drastically decreased from 2.26 mmol/L to 0.8 mmol/L (I'm in NZ where the healthy range is 0.45 - 1.51). I'm stoked about that. My good cholesterol has also increased a little (.95 to 1.1), but so has my bad cholesterol (2.02 to 3.60 - the healthy range is 1.81 - 3.0).

I'm just wondering if anybody has anything to say about this. Any comments that would help me lower my bad cholesterol, or even if I need worry about it because my Triglycerides are so low? I am actually doing weight watchers, but am incorporating low carb into the diet. I start again tomorrow, trying to keep my carbs below 100g per day. This is not super low (but lower than the typical western diet), but it is FAR lower than what I used to consume (about 600 - 900gms per day!). I'm really excited about the decrease in my Triglycerides, and I do feel that if I stop pigging out on Chocolate and other high-carb items on my big-points day, that my bad cholesterol will decrease. What do you think? Oh, I eat plenty of fat, too, and no horrible oils (except olive) with most of the fat being good, healthy animal fat. (Shock-horror to some, I know.) Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: LC lowered my Triglycerides Dramatically

"Oh, I eat plenty of fat, too, and no horrible oils (except olive) with most of the fat being good, healthy animal fat. (Shock-horror to some, I know.) Thanks in advance "

animal fat is really the worst because it does increase your bad cholesterol and that's the stuff that clogs your arteries, whereas vegetable oils, olive oil, and nut oils don't so that may be why your bad cholesterol is not controlled. Your triglycerides have most likely lowered as a result of your low carb diet. Both fats and carbs increase your triglycerides and actually it's easier to eat excess carbs than excess oils and it's that excess that gets converted into triglycerides.

Keep up the low carb but perhaps cut down a bit on your animal fats and really that's as simple as cutting the fat off meat, drinking skim milk and eating low fat dairy products etc so you certainly don't have to give these things up. some people think the fat on meat etc is the best part (I once did too), but once you stop eating it for a while you really get to taste the meat instead, and that fat just starts to repulse you after a while. Olive oil is also a very healthy oil and great for the heart and also increases your good cholesterol levels so you can make that your main source of fat without any worries - it's not a horrible oil at all, and actually most non animal sources of fats and oils aren't bad for you and are really essential parts of the diet.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

Acoustics4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
"Oh, I eat plenty of fat, too, and no horrible oils (except olive) with most of the fat being good, healthy animal fat. (Shock-horror to some, I know.) Thanks in advance "

animal fat is really the worst because it does increase your bad cholesterol and that's the stuff that clogs your arteries, whereas vegetable oils, olive oil, and nut oils don't so that may be why your bad cholesterol is not controlled. Your triglycerides have most likely lowered as a result of your low carb diet. Both fats and carbs increase your triglycerides and actually it's easier to eat excess carbs than excess oils and it's that excess that gets converted into triglycerides.

Keep up the low carb but perhaps cut down a bit on your animal fats and really that's as simple as cutting the fat off meat, drinking skim milk and eating low fat dairy products etc so you certainly don't have to give these things up. some people think the fat on meat etc is the best part (I once did too), but once you stop eating it for a while you really get to taste the meat instead, and that fat just starts to repulse you after a while. Olive oil is also a very healthy oil and great for the heart and also increases your good cholesterol levels so you can make that your main source of fat without any worries - it's not a horrible oil at all, and actually most non animal sources of fats and oils aren't bad for you and are really essential parts of the diet.
Hey there. Thanks for the reply!

Like you, I believe Olive oil is excellent. But, with respect, I have done a lot of research on low-carb, higher protein/fat diets, and I don't plan on reducing the fat content, and certainly not the healthy saturated fat content, of my diet. (I'm not trying to convince you, but I just don't want others to try to convince me - I've heard all the arguments). There is a lot of good science out there in opposition to what is popularly believed to be healthy. But I very much appreciate your comments, nonetheless. I'm glad what you are doing is working for you.

I'd love to hear from other low-carbers who don't believe saturated fat is bad for you (as many recent studies show). I absolutely respect everyone's right to choose how they want to feed themselves. But I've chosen my path, and I plan to stay on it. It would be great to hear from all you low-carb, higher protein/fat folk out there.

It's always hard in forums not to sound impolite when you have an opposing opinion, so I hope I haven't done that here, Captjane.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

"But, with respect, I have done a lot of research on low-carb, higher protein/fat diets, and I don't plan on reducing the fat content, and certainly not the healthy saturated fat content, of my diet. "

I agree that a lower carb, higher protein and fat diet is a very healthy diet. The reason I feel this way about animal fats is a couple of years ago I had an LDL of 7.9 which was rediculously high considering I didn't eat junk or take aways. My doctor even said to me at the time "you'll be dead from a heart attack within 5 years if this doesn't change" and that terrified me.

Now my LDL is consistently around 1.7 (I'm in aus so we use the same type of readings as nz) and this happened after I saw a nutritionist who insisted I avoid animal fats and increase vegetable fats and explained to me the whole process of how it affects cholesterol. I'll admit that many times I thought she was crazy with the advice she gave but I had nothing to lose by following it at that point and she probably saved my life to be honest..

But as far as opposing views, I think we all have to do what we believe is right for each of us and at the end of the day if you feel your diet works for you then you need to follow your heart and what you feel is right. All I can do is offer what I have I learned but I really wouldn't try to convince anyone of anything, so it's all good

Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

There is no such thing as "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol. HDL and LDL are lipoproteins that are transported throughout the body by cholesterol. What causes clogged arteries is inflammation. That is usually brought about by among other things, high triglycerides. Keep up the low carb, high protein diet and don't worry about the numbers. You'll be healthier in the long run. You might want to read Zoe Harcombe. She has some interesting studies on heart disease, obesity, etc. Take care

Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

Acoustics4me HB User

Captjane, it is good to read your story. I'm so glad you are in a healthier place

RudiRaven, yes, I have read that before, so I'm interested in reading up on the name you recommended. (I reckon there is so much out there that is believed to be right but is actually being proven wrong through advances in Science. Look at our grandparents - they practically lived on lard and the incidence of heart disease was so much lower than now.) I've also seen a great video on low carb, saturated fat called Fat Head by Tom Horton (I think it's Horton). You can watch a three minute clip on YouTube, if you're interested. The whole video challenges the current nutritional understandings of main-stream nutritionists, doctors, etc. That video was the catalyst of me going low carb.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to doing some more reading.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
There is no such thing as "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol. HDL and LDL are lipoproteins that are transported throughout the body by cholesterol.
rudiraven it's the other way around, lipoproteins transport cholesterol through your blood (among other things)

Edit: forgot to say good luck accoustics with your diet, and all the best for a healthy lifestyle

Last edited by captjane; 02-10-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added

Closed Thread