It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

mrmagoo HB User
which whey protein to use

Hi i'm gonna start lifting weights but am unsure of which whey protein to use,ive narrowed it down to either gold standard double chocolate whey or impact whey isolate chocolate smooth ,both seem to have good reviews so would it make any difference to which one i choose,i'm gonna eat protein meals and want the whey protein for the extra protein as well as convenience.
many thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Smile Re: which whey protein to use

Too much protein isn't good for your health because it displaces healthier items like fresh fruit and vegetables. If you're eating reasonable amounts of protein in your meals, just increase it a little. (The average American already eats to much protein.) Heaping on extra large amounts of protein isn't going to speed up the building of muscle.

A good way to judge if you've had enough protein is to see how long it keeps you satisfied. If you eat a well balanced meal (including lots of fresh vegetables) and get hungry before the next mealtime, that likely means you could use a little more protein.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User
Re: which whey protein to use

Whatever you do avoid artificial sweetener and soy in any protein. You want to go with Whey Protein Isolates only and nothing less.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
(male)

Broughy HB User

Which ever has the highest amount of protein go for that! good luck!

Last edited by Broughy; 06-29-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
(female)

beachlove12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Too much protein isn't good for your health because it displaces healthier items like fresh fruit and vegetables. If you're eating reasonable amounts of protein in your meals, just increase it a little. (The average American already eats to much protein.) Heaping on extra large amounts of protein isn't going to speed up the building of muscle.

A good way to judge if you've had enough protein is to see how long it keeps you satisfied. If you eat a well balanced meal (including lots of fresh vegetables) and get hungry before the next mealtime, that likely means you could use a little more protein.
@JohnR41, can I please ask about how much 'too much' protein is for an athlete? If one was to begin protein shakes, would I have to subtract the shake calories from somewhere else in my diet to prevent weight gain?
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
(male)

musclefeast HB User

Just a couple quick things here. The USDA recommends 50g of protein per day. For most people to maintain muscle density, this number is at the far bottom of the scale. Most conventional wisdom now says that 1g of protein is needed per lb of body weight to maintain muscle density. Many bodybuilders go as high as 2g per day per lb of body weight but this is on the high extreme and I would definitely not go any higher than this amount. I agree that the best source of protein is from your foods and protein powders should only be used to supplement your daily protein intake if you are not getting enough. A good rule of thumb for red meat, chicken, and fish is that 25% by weight will be protein. So, if you eat a lb per day, you would get about 111 g of protein.

As for what product is best. I agree that whey protein is ideal over other types of protein and avoid soy protein completely. Vegetarian proteins are not complete proteins, meaning they are lacking in one or more essential amino acids, so they should not be used as a primary source of protein. Soy protein also has some adverse effects with men due to estrogen.

To pick a good whey protein, you have to be careful as many companies do not come close to meeting label claims but provided the label claims are correct, you should choose a protein that is all natural (free of sucralose, ace K, etc) and look at the total amount of protein you get per container. In other words, one product may have 21g per serving and the other 28g per serving. Multiply this value times the number of servings to get the total protein per container to help you make the right choice. Some companies will claim 28g of protein per serving and then list a 50g serving size, meaning about half of your product is not protein (this is very common, so pay close attention).

I agree that whey isolate is superior but many games are played here as well, so pay close attention to the labels. Just because the front of the label says isolate does not mean you have a great product. Also, if you are not lactose intolerant, then going with an isolate may not be needed.

Closed Thread