It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
(male)

swoody HB User
Question Creating the healthiest diet for lazy people...

Hello!

I have been eating a horrible diet lately and I'd like to make a complete 180 and try eating as healthy as possible. Food has never played a big part in my life, and I don't have any emotional attachments to food or meals. I simply eat when I'm hungry to keep myself from being hungry. With that said, I'm looking to create an ultimate "Healthy Diet for Lazy People". My idea was to basically create salads containing everything I need and just portion it out between 3 and 5 meals a day. What do you all think about this?

To keep various flavors from interacting with one another in bad ways I was thinking of making 3 different salads in large batches - the first being a veggie salad containing all of the healthiest veggies possible, the second being a fruit salad, and the third being a beans/grains/legumes/nuts salad. For the veggie salad I'm planning on just topping it with olive oil, and balsamic vinegar on the fruit salad. I plan on eating vegan both for the health benefits and also due to the fact that preparing meat is much more cost and effort than would be allowed by this lazy diet. The most preparing I want to do is soaking or boiling beans/legumes, etc.

Now with that said, I'm hoping to find some input on the best ingredients to make this the most balanced and healthy diet possible. Since I am a very large framed and active person my main concerns are making sure the diet will include enough protein and calcium. What would be the most important ingredients to include? How should the ratios be proportioned to one another? Any other input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
(female)

Susanna0174 HB User
Re: Creating the healthiest diet for lazy people...

You have great ideas here and I give you a lot of credit for making the effort into getting healthy. It's not easy. I know I've struggled. I would just make sure that you are getting enough protein and iron. It's very hard for the body to absorb iron from just eating veggies and beans. I would suggest eating red meat at least once a week. That is one area of struggle for vegans and vegetarians. One thing that I do is simple. Stock your freezer with boneless chicken breast, fish if you like it, and vegetables. I get a bag of frozen chicken from Trader Joe's and I love it. It doesn't need to be thawed and only takes 15-20 minutes to cook and you can also get frozen veggies in the bag and steam them in the microwave. These are all very simple things to do. I stay away from marinades and just stick with virgin olive oil, balsamic, lemon and garlic. YOu can't go wrong. Those are just some ideas. I did the salads a lot too, but did it for lunch and before eating dinner. Breakfast is usually a protein fruit smoothie. I have thought about going vegetarian again, but I have such a hard time absorbing iron that I don't think I will do it. Just stick to good carbs (veggies), protein, fresh fruits, water, and oils (healthy). Also, I used to cook extra chicken for the next day so I wouldn't have to cook if I wasn't able to or up to it and would prepare veggies on sunday. I know you want it easy, but you may find that healthy eating may inspire you to do more with your meals and life itself. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
(male)

swoody HB User

Bumping for more ideas!

Susanna - Thanks for the ideas and tips. I completely agree with the olive oil / balsamic / garlic / lemon on everything. I really enjoy that nice clean taste, and it's uber healthy to boot

Last edited by swoody; 04-03-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

<I think> the healthiest diet 1/2 your veggies should be lightly cooked, like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, etc and the other 1/2 should be raw (salad foods). Steaming them is a quick and easy way to prepare them. Or lightly stir fry (but don't fry then in oil like fried food, use mostly water).

In fall and winter the most nutritious and satisfying way to cook is soup and stews! 'Lazy' after you make a big pot, then heat up leftover for several days.

In spring and summer, the best foods are salad and lightly cooked foods. Eating only salads would not be satisfying to me. And there is something nourishing about preparing fresh veggies to cook- it's a special time that brings family together- I'm talking about the preparing, chopping veggies, etc. Learn which veggies need to be cooked- like mushrooms (has amazing health benefits), spinach, etc. Once chopped, veggies take only minutes to cook lightly, 6-10 minutes. Even steaming. Healthy ways to cook veggies:

Steaming
Stovetop Searing
Healthy Stir-Fry
Healthy Saute
Quick Broil

So don't skip out on cooking- I'm talking quick and easy cooking- chopping veggies, then 6-10 minutes cooking one of above methods. Then enjoying the meal, and the time taken to make it was worth it, because you made the most nourishing meal.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Closed Thread