It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

ezchoice HB User
A question about eating healthy

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum.

I have recently (about a month or more) started to add more health oriented food to my diet. I am 33 years old and have more or less eaten quite unhealthy for pretty much my entire life. From fast food to heavily salted foods (yes, I know that they are one in the same too). Recently I have been making the switch to incorporated vegetables into my diet (about a month) and fruit as well (about a year) I feel no ill effects from eating fruit and really enjoy the taste so it's easy to do........

however, eating vegetables does not seem to agree with me. I have been trying to make my entire lunch at work vegetarian or at least mostly vegetable heavy. I have no intention of giving up meat for dinner but I have tried to change the colour of it on occasion.

The main vegetables that I have added are: broccoli, asparagus, red pepper, green peppers, yellow pepper (peppers don't bother me), lettuce and carrots. Eating them does not make me feel good and yes, I do take the time to wash them and ensure that they are fresh. I just feel blah after eating them.

Now I am not an overweight person. I am 6'3" (190cm) and 186 pounds without much fat. I play soccer at least twice a week, lift weights and do sit ups every second day and do an hour or more cardio on a stationary bike every night. I am not naturally thin.

In the past I would eat an entire rack of ribs on top of a pile of white rice with salt and butter followed by a good 2-3 hour work out to work off some of the calories and feel great after words. Now like I said these vegetable make me feel sort of down and don't seem to digest easily.

All I can find online is that vegetables are great and I am not really skeptical of that. Is there more moderation needed in relation to the servings? I don't know. I also eat most of them raw which I was told was better for you as well. No butter or salt added.

Is this a normal part of the transition? I plan to stick to it but I want to make sure I have the right idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: A question about eating healthy

You might try lightly sauteing the veggies and also juicing to see if you have the same problem. Adding leafy greens would be beneficial - collards, bok choy, kale, etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

Jess664 HB User

Well I'd say as far as moderation goes, you need to start small...incorporating vegetables into your diet doesn't necessarily need to mean converting a whole meal every day into completely vegetables. Start simple with a small salad before what might be a meat-heavy (or even unhealthy) dinner. Or just snacking differently. Then over time you will be able to incorporate them more and more and eventually maybe a chicken salad might not be so unbearable. But start small.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezchoice View Post
Recently I have been making the switch to incorporated vegetables into my diet (about a month) and fruit as well (about a year) I feel no ill effects from eating fruit and really enjoy the taste so it's easy to do........
Well, congratulations on making the change.

Quote:
however, eating vegetables does not seem to agree with me. I have been trying to make my entire lunch at work vegetarian or at least mostly vegetable heavy.
Having an all vegetable lunch is a good goal. However, you may be going about it in the wrong way. Are you making a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot shavings, a little slice or two of raw pepper, garbanzo beans or other beans etc.. Building a salad is an art that can't be rushed. Also, there should be some dressing. I prefer olive oil and fresh lemon juice. One or two teaspoons of the oil and as much lemon as you like. Then you need to include some carbohydrate with your lunch. You really do. One slice of whole grain bread will do it (or another (1) serving of some other form of starch). And when you eat the salad it's very very important that you do it in a relaxed atmosphere and take your time.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
(male)

ezchoice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Well, congratulations on making the change.

Having an all vegetable lunch is a good goal. However, you may be going about it in the wrong way. Are you making a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot shavings, a little slice or two of raw pepper, garbanzo beans or other beans etc.. Building a salad is an art that can't be rushed. Also, there should be some dressing. I prefer olive oil and fresh lemon juice. One or two teaspoons of the oil and as much lemon as you like. Then you need to include some carbohydrate with your lunch. You really do. One slice of whole grain bread will do it (or another (1) serving of some other form of starch). And when you eat the salad it's very very important that you do it in a relaxed atmosphere and take your time.

Perhaps it's the way I'm going about it. I don't even really build a salad. I will generally just eat whatever it is straight. For example, I will simply cut the broccoli off, wash it and then eat it. Or if it is salad, I will not add any dressing as I heard the dressing defeats the purpose of the salad.

I'm also trying to get better at this as my son came to live with me and he will be turning 15 in August so I have to make sure that we are both eating healthy, him in particular as these are important growing years.

What is it about taking your time? That's another issue I may have, as I tend to be active and busy all the time so taking my time to eat isn't really my strong suit. Girl friends have commented on my "caveman" like speed to eating. I never really thought about it as being anything besides annoying to the opposite sex. Is there something unhealthy about it too?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezchoice View Post
For example, I will simply cut the broccoli off, wash it and then eat it.
I became a vegan in 2006 so I eat a lot of vegetables everyday. I'm pretty used to it and I do like most vegetables. But I do have my limits as to how much raw broccoli or cauliflower I can eat. Especially if I eat them too fast.
Eating in the wrong way can really do a number on my stomach. When vegetables are cooked you can eat a little faster, although I still don't recommend eating fast.

Chewing your food slowly and well is important because it's part of the digestive process. Saliva mixes with the food as you chew and gets it ready for entry to the stomach.

Quote:
Or if it is salad, I will not add any dressing as I heard the dressing defeats the purpose of the salad.
You need a little bit of good fat in your diet. If you don't want to use olive oil you can try a small amount chopped walnuts or chopped almonds. Of course you don't want to add too much because nuts are high in calories. I think it's the ready made salad dressings that might defeat the purpose of the salad. It seems that enjoying what you eat helps with the digestive process too.

Quote:
I'm also trying to get better at this as my son came to live with me and he will be turning 15 in August so I have to make sure that we are both eating healthy, him in particular as these are important growing years.
Kids don't like a lot of vegetables during their growing years and there's a reason for it. Vegetables alone do not promote a lot of growth. So it's like mother nature is not encouraging them to like a lot of vegetables. Their bodies will crave some foods that stimulate growth. Although, I have heard that some kids are raised in vegan families and do well.

Quote:
What is it about taking your time? That's another issue I may have, as I tend to be active and busy all the time so taking my time to eat isn't really my strong suit. Girl friends have commented on my "caveman" like speed to eating. I never really thought about it as being anything besides annoying to the opposite sex. Is there something unhealthy about it too?
My brother was a fast eater too. He was always the first one to finish eating. Even on Thanksgiving! I think it's easier to get away with it when you're young. And easier when the food is cooked rather than raw.

And there's one other thing I forgot to mention: I believe you will do better if you have at least a short rest period after eating. If you get up as soon as you're finished eating and start rushing around, that could also be hard on your digestive system.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Closed Thread