It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

tina680 HB User
Vitamins

I desire to add vitamins and nutrients to may diet. I am concerned that most of the foods we consume have been stripped or are somewhat depleted of their original nutrients and then we further deplete them with the cooking process.

I specifically want to know from someone out there who has had experience with vitamins to recommend some trustworthy brands. I have heard so many conflicting things about vitamins: we do need them, we don't really need them, most on the market are full of fillers that can affect your stomach ...

I'd appreciate any advice

Last edited by tina680; 07-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Vitamins

I would advise that you take it slowly and start with your primary doc. Tell them your goals and ask for a blood panel to show your existing nutrition levels. They can't test for all of them, but they can test for the ones that are commonly deficient (D & B12, for example), and they will check blood sugars, cholesterol, etc. for other dietary imbalances.

With that info you can then begin to do some intelligent research on what would be beneficial to you. Don't start with a health food store or the internet for a shopping list. This will have you suddenly spending $100's/month for stuff you may not need, and if any of it causes problems for you, you won't know which supplement did it.

So find out if you actually have any deficiencies or imbalances and address those first. If your tests show that you need supplementation, no doubt the folks here can guide you to the kinds, brands, etc. that have worked for them. If all your tests are normal, you are probably just as well off with a good multivitamin designed for your age/gender.

fwiw,
M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

tina680 HB User

Thank you for the quick reply, sounds like good advice

Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings some doctors are saying the artificially made ones might cause cancer. If a person has a deficiency of a particular nutrient it could be difficult to catch up. Some people juice fruits and vegetables and eat small amounts of unhydrogenated nut butters with no harmful additives. If a person had a particular nutrient imbalance one might try to juice the vegetables and fruits which contain more of the missing element in my opinion. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-08-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: addition made for clarification

Closed Thread