It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Beanling HB User
No Appetite

I am a student with a fast metabolism and not a huge food budget so food is scarce and irregular. But I am 10kg under my correct weight (40kg, age20) and everyday I get comments about either being too skinny, being bulimic or being anorexic. Some of these comments are quite barbed and mean while others are just out of concern. They come from family, friends, acquaintances, strangers, and people I am meeting for the first time. I know that my boyfriend is as nice as possible but wishes there was a little more of me to hold. It's gotten to the point where I feel really ugly and the smallest comment makes me want to cry. The problem is, I've always loved food and eating but this year I am never hungry. I know that my brain is telling me, "eat, you are hungry," but NOTHING ever appeals, not ice-cream, chocolate, cake - let alone meat and veg. I've always loved veggies and meat too, well... I've always loved food and I'm the last person who wants to have an eating disorder, but I have no appetite. Every time I eat it's because I look at the time and think, it's been 4 hours, time for my next snack and then I go and put something together, stare at it for a while, put it to my lips, chew for a bit, and swallow without ANY enjoyment along the way. Since eating is one of life's great joys, it is starting to depress me. Anyone know what could cause this loss of appetite?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: No Appetite

You say you have a fast metabolism. Have you been checked for an overactive thyroid condition, called hyperthyroidism or Graves disease? It is a simple blood test. Some people with this experience loss of appetite as well as weight loss. Many other symptoms can go with it too- hair loss, anxiety, insomnia, diarrhea, fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, sweating, thirst, etc. Depression can also cause loss of appetite, but I would check out physical causes first with your Dr. Adrenal insufficiency causes loss of appetite (anorexia), but also causes profound fatigue, low BP, pigment increase in creases of skin. If those symptoms are present, that can be checked as well by Dr with a blood test. Both hyperthyroidism and adrenal insufficiency (Addison's) can make people very sick, so if any of these other symptoms fit, please get these checked out, as both are treatable. In any case, your concern and that of others is valid, and should be addressed.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
sjb (07-11-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Beanling (07-11-2012), sjb (07-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Beanling HB User

Thanks, I never thought about overactive thyroid. Your comments about fast heartbeat, sweating and skin-pigment changes has made me think I should check this. Thanks so much!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Beanling! My sympathies, I hope the needed support and comfort is found. A wide variety of food is healthy for a person. Whatever healthy food has been left out of the diet needs to be eaten in my opinion. Some foods which may help appetite might include olives, lemons, horseradish, pollen sloeberry, scurvy grass, rhubarb, and papaya. There are other causes for a lack of appetite including cancer so a good diagnosis needs to be obtained from a health professional as the other poster has mentioned. Peace, sjb

Closed Thread

Tags
eating problems