It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

Mandaloo HB User
Juicing while pregnant

Hello, everyone : ). I am new to the juicing world, and I'm also 9 weeks pregnant. When I got the juicer last month, I looked up what herbs, veggies, and fruits were off limits during pregnancy... only some herbs were mentioned. I read that kale and carrots were very important during pregnancy, so I have been incorporating those into most of my recipes, along with spinach, apples, celery, sweet potatoes, broccoli, many fruits... just about everything possible. I try to drink one fruit juice a day, and one vegetable juice, so I'm not trying to cleanse or fast. Anyway, I recently read that pregnant women need to be careful not to OD on vitamin A, so I was trying to look up the nutritional value of carrots, kale, spinach, sweet potatoes, anything known for vitamin A. The results I got were confusing and inconsistent. It looked like one serving of each of those was well over the allowable intake limit of daily vitamin A? That seems odd to me because then wouldn't it not be healthy for anyone to juice or eat these vegetables? I asked my OB, he's not very into nutrition and said he can't advise me on what he doesn't know, so maybe I should just not juice. I would much rather juice if I can, I am a high risk pregnancy (not due to pre-existing health conditions) and I want to be as healthy as can be. I have also read online that pregnant women should definitely incorporate kale and other greens in their diet. Can anyone help me with some nutritional information on juicing while pregnant and/or about vitamin A? I would GREATLY appreciate it, thank you in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Juicing while pregnant

Good question!

The most important thing is, there are different forms of Vitamin A out there. The kind you get from animal products and from some vitamin pills is the active form. It's easy to overdose on, and the overdose is particularly dangerous to women in early pregnancy.

Plants have something called Beta Carotene, which your body turns into Vitamin A as needed. This makes it much harder to overdose. However, excess is still not a great idea, and stuffing pounds of veggies into a juicer might just provide enough beta carotene to OD.

In general, juicing is unnecessary. You don't need mass quantities of veggies, even while pregnant. Eating a handful of carrot sticks is plenty, and the fiber in the whole fruits and veggies will keep your bowels regular. Whole fruits and veggies also slow down digestion, keeping your blood sugar balanced.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
(female)

Mandaloo HB User

Thank you so much for your input! I didn't know that ODing was mostly for the other forms of vitamin A. I am thinking from your advice, because I do believe some good comes of juicing and I don't want to give it up, I will make my daily juice with smaller amounts of vegetables... even smaller then the recipes recommend.... that way I can be on the safe side and it shouldn't too much stronger the just eating the daily servings.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
(male)

Caspar HB User

HI all,Natural juice are good and helpful pregnant women but junk food are totally affected at women and her child.The most important thing is, there are different forms of Vitamin A out there. The kind you get from animal products and from some vitamin pills is the active form.

Closed Thread