It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
(male)

kiwinz HB User
Kefir newbie, seeking advice..

Over recent months I have become highly convinced that good diet + good gut flora is the key to health. I say this as I have had a variety of gastro issues for months and once drinking fermented milk drinks 2x a day they all but vanished within 3 days. I want to further expand this and create a robust gut flora in my system. I have begun making Kefir. First I started with the powdered cultures but I am now trying to source Kefir grains. One thing I can't seem to get a consensus of is wether milk should be heated or not before adding cultures or grains. I am using fresh organic whole milk from the grocer. I am pretty sure this milk has been pasteurized so I do not need to heat it right? I have seen 50% of Kefir making instructions say "heat milk until it steams" and other say "add kefir to milk". So which is it? My first batch of Kefir came out a nice liquid Yogurt consistency. It is an acquired taste I think, so I bought some organic agave extract to sweeten a little. I just want to ensure I am doing the Kefir right.

As for my current gut flora regime:

Morning = Yakult x 1
Noon = multi strain probiotic 40bln
Afternoon = 4 oz Kefir
Dinner = 4 oz Kefir
Before Bed = Yakult x1

I can't begin to state how much this has helped my reflux and bowel issues, I am feeling a "normal" person for the first time in 3 months I also find less stress and better mood since starting this pro-biotic regime.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
(male)

oikkis HB User
Re: Kefir newbie, seeking advice..

One instruction what i heard is that if you heat the milk, kefir is born faster. But most instructions what i read, there are no any mention of heating.

I have not my own experience. I just ordered my first kefir "seed" and i think that next week i'm able to do my own kefir. Newer even taste it.

I also had some issues of reflux.. so i hope that kefir helps me.

Last edited by oikkis; 11-02-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
(male)

ted680 HB User
Re: Kefir newbie, seeking advice..

I have been drinking raw milk (from Jersey cows/ highest fats!) and turning about half into Kefir daily. I usually make smoothies with it, I add berries, brewers yeast, coconut oil, pumpkin, Chia, etc, changes a little daily. I never heat my milk for Kefir, the time to ferment it varies with the seasons. I am in New England, and we have warm summers, so then 24 hours on counter is enough, but in the winter, it is usually 48 hours and it becomes more sour tasting. You are fortunate, New Zealand has a fair amount of grass fed cows, you should decide about the benefits of Raw Milk. Read some Weston A Price info, and decide for yourself. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroidism, and Metabolic Syndrome, For the RA I am immune suppressed with meds, even though there are some small risks, the farm I go to is small, and they are cautious, and it has helped me enjoy milk again.

I need to give away, or eat extra grains weekly. They grow fast in good raw milk. Besides smoothies, we have made Kefir cheeses and ice cream, all increadible tasting. Your schedule seems fine, I don't drink that many times myself, just twice a day with AM/PM meds. All I know is, my family always had a history of GI issues, (mom has active Chron's Dx) but two weeks after starting Kefir, my bowels have been normal since.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-10-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Reply Reply